Clarence Thomas in favor of strip searching white women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarence Thomas in favor of strip searching white women

Arizona school officials violated the constitutional rights of a 13-year-old girl when they strip-searched her on the suspicion she might be hiding ibuprofen in her underwear, the Supreme Court ruled yesterday. The decision put school districts on notice that such searches are "categorically...

Student Strip Search Illegal
    School Violated Teen Girl's Rights, Supreme Court Rules

By Robert Barnes
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, June 26, 2009

Arizona school officials violated the constitutional rights of a 13-year-old girl when they strip-searched her on the suspicion she might be hiding ibuprofen in her underwear, the Supreme Court ruled yesterday. The decision put school districts on notice that such searches are "categorically distinct" from other efforts to combat illegal drugs.

In a case that had drawn attention from educators, parents and civil libertarians across the country, the court ruled 8 to 1 that such an intrusive search without the threat of a clear danger to other students violated the Constitution's protections against unreasonable search or seizure.

Justice David H. Souter, writing perhaps his final opinion for the court, said that in the search of Savana Redding, now a 19-year-old college student, school officials overreacted to vague accusations that Redding was violating school policy by possessing the ibuprofen, equivalent to two tablets of Advil.

What was missing, Souter wrote, "was any indication of danger to the students from the power of the drugs or their quantity, and any reason to suppose that Savana was carrying pills in her underwear."

It was reasonable to search the girl's backpack and outer clothes, but Safford Middle School administrators made a "quantum leap" in taking the next step, the opinion said. "The meaning of such a search, and the degradation its subject may reasonably feel, place a search that intrusive in a category of its own demanding its own specific suspicions," Souter wrote.

Justice Clarence Thomas was the lone dissenter. "Judges are not qualified to second-guess the best manner for maintaining quiet and order in the school environment," he wrote.

He said administrators were only being logical in searching the girl. "Redding would not have been the first person to conceal pills in her undergarments," he wrote. "Nor will she be the last after today's decision, which announces the safest place to secrete contraband in school."

The court's virtual unanimity was in contrast to the intense oral argument that seemed to exasperate the court's only female member, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. She later said her male colleagues seemed not to appreciate the trauma such a search would have on a developing adolescent.

"They have never been a 13-year-old girl," she told USA Today when asked about her colleagues' comments during the arguments. "It's a very sensitive age for a girl. I didn't think that my colleagues, some of them, quite understood."

But yesterday's opinion recognized just that. "Changing for gym is getting ready for play," Souter wrote. "Exposing for a search is responding to an accusation reserved for suspected wrongdoers" and is so degrading that a number of states and school districts have banned strip searches. The Washington region's two largest school districts are among them.

Redding said the decision "feels fantastic." She described herself as shy and "not a good public speaker," but said the long legal battle "was to make sure it didn't happen to anyone else."

The case, Safford Unified School District #1 v. Redding, began when another student was found with prescription-strength ibuprofen and said she received it from Redding.

There's more to the article, but that's the first page.

How could anybody justify strip-searching a girl to find ibuprofen? Especially when the only cause you have for the search is the unreliable testimony of a student found with head-ache medicine. How dangerous could ibuprofen be in a school? Is there even any potential for abuse? Don't the enemies of freedom (i.e. drug warriors) realize that this is a bit too far?

Shame on Clarence. I used to like him, but he let his sense of reason lapse.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I felt sorry for the girl but then I saw she was fat so I didn't care anymore. Fat people don't deserve human rights.

Comment

Eh, who strip searched the girl? Faculty at a school sure as hell shouldn't have that right, no matter how badly they are pissing their pants in fear of their lives. Was it a female police officer? Way to instill distrust of authority. Was it the school nurse? Who would have most likely laughed the faculty out of her office at such a request. If it was school faculty I would be pressing charges of sexual abuse or something to that tune.

What's the big deal with ibuprofen anyway? Everyone carries the stuff from the age they learn it cures headaches and muscle cramps. You would probably find a few pills on every other student in the school, I bet the teachers have bottles stashed in their desks.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV View Post
          I felt sorry for the girl but then I saw she was fat so I didn't care anymore. Fat people don't deserve human rights.
          QFWTF

I mean, why so harsh on fat people? The reason this person shouldn't have any rights is because they are a kid not because she's fat. Kids deserve no rights while fat people get some, but just not as many as us normal attractive people.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Space,

It was the school nurse. I'm not sure whether she was really a nurse though. My school didn't never had a registered nurse, just some sort of para-health professional.

Comment

Hey! Where are all the white women at? [/Blazing Saddles]
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Thread title is a biiiiit ridiculous, but you know...

I'm not a fan of how far Justice Thomas takes in loco parentis, but its not like he's making **** up.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I had to check if this was an Onion article from the early '90s.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Ibuprofen is an illegal drug?
                    What an astonishingly idiotic policy.

And no one except trained, same-sex police / nurses / social workers, should be able to strip minors without sitting in jail for it.

If they fear serious drug abuse, the teachers should detain the girl and call police.

America is somewhat insane.

Comment

It goes a bit further than that Siro,

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

This girl was searched on the basis of rather unreliable testimony, and the search escalated from checking her personal effects to a strip search without any attempt at justification beyond "We haven't found it where we looked, so let's keep digging."

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov View Post
                        Ibuprofen is an illegal drug?
                        What an astonishingly idiotic policy.

And no one except trained, same-sex police / nurses / social workers, should be able to strip minors without sitting in jail for it.

If they fear serious drug abuse, the teachers should detain the girl and call police.

America is somewhat insane.
                        It's not illegal for minors to posses it, I don't think, however schools have policies that disallow possession of it for liability reasons. If a student goes and ODs on ibuprofen while at school the parents can turn around and say that the school was being negligent. Or something like that

Comment

So in other words, the lawyers need to be strip searched.

Imran, we need you to drop your trousers, bend over, and try to relax.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
                            QFWTF

I mean, why so harsh on fat people? The reason this person shouldn't have any rights is because they are a kid not because she's fat. Kids deserve no rights while fat people get some, but just not as many as us normal attractive people.
                            This sounds like traitorous fatty talk.

Comment

Outlawing all drugs - yes, even OTC cold and headache remedies - is very common in US school districts. It's a stupid overreaction to the "real" drug problem, but schools would rather err on the side of caution fewer lawsuits.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X