Meet the new boss... way different than the old boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet the new boss... way different than the old boss

The following is an internal e-mail made known to those in my class from a very large local (Cincinnati) company who recently got a new CEO and wishes to remain anonymous. The initials, however, are P&G... Don't ask me anything more about the identity of the company, I have been sworn to secrecy and bribed with a can of Pringles... who puts chips in a can?... Anyway, these are the new CEOs top 10 "beliefs".

1. Everyone wants to succeed. I have never in all my life, in any career, in any country, at any time, met a person who tries to fail. So the job of the leader is to help people succeed.

2. Success is contagious. A leader's job is to catch people succeeding, even if the success is a small one, and to use that small success to build a virtuous cycle of ever larger successes. Since success is contagious, one success will always lead to another, and one successful person will always influence another to be successful. Our job as leaders is to start the fire that fuels the cycle of success.

3. Putting people in the right jobs is one of the most important jobs of the leader. People like to do work that they are good at. Human beings always gravitate to things they do well. So our job as leaders is to identify what our people do well, and then to put them into jobs that take advantage of that strength.

4. Character is the most important trait of a leader. At West Point I learned that the character of a leader is their most important attribute. Character is defined as always putting the needs of the organization above your own. At P&G the leader should always take personal responsibility for results of their organization. You must live by your word and actions, and know that is the most powerful demonstration of leadership.

5. Choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong. This powerful line came from the Cadet Prayer at West Point. A leader who lives by their word can be counted on to "choose the harder right," to put the needs of the organization above their own, to do the unpopular thing when it is right.

6. Ineffective systems and cultures are bigger barriers to achievement than the talents of people. The role of the leader is to improve the systems and the culture in which their organization operates to improve the consistency and level of success of the results. Any High Performance Organization must have four components: passionate leadership, sound strategies, robust systems, and a high performance culture. A leader needs to work on all four pillars.

7. There will be some people in the organization who will not make it on the journey. Even after taking all of the steps above, there still will be some people in the leader's organization who will be either unwilling or unable to go on the journey of growth with the leader and the organization. It is the leader's job to identify those who cannot go on the journey, help them recognize the tension, and help them identify other careers which offer greater promise.

8. Organizations must renew themselves. Any organization, as with any organism, which is growing must renew itself. As such, the leader must provide training and development opportunities for the individuals in the organization to grow. Renewal is particularly important in a "promote from within" Company like P&G. We need a healthy level of attrition within P&G to provide future opportunities for growth for our more junior employees.

9. Recruiting is top priority. There is nothing more important than recruiting. When we recruit we are hiring the future leaders of the Company and also our future friends. The leader needs to be active in recruiting to ensure we are constantly raising standards and to gauge the level of renewal of the organization.

10. The true test of the leader is the performance of the organization when they are absent or after they depart. The leader’s job is to build sufficient organization capability, including the leadership and individual initiative of the members of the organization as well as the strategies/systems/culture of the organization, so that the leader’s presence or absence would not significant...
    I think the post limit was reached there at the end, but the picture is clear. This is supposed to be the next great leader of this company, to me it sounds like a turnaround artist. What do you think? The company isn't floundering, even in these times. Why hire someone like this? Am I misinterpreting this? I read, streamline, leave people behind, attrition, hard decisions... layoffs. Also, what dictionary has "put the company before yourself" as a definition of character?

I'm glad I don't work for that guy.
    Monkey!!!

If this is one of those joke emails, I have to say that your sense of humor is downright bizarre. Where's the casual sexist joke about how men are lazy and women belong in the kitchen? No where.

For an example, here's how I would write #9.

"9. Recruiting is a top priority. Tapping into a devalued labor market at this stage allows us to entice people with "internships" that are essentially enslavement. [insert boilerplate racist joke here]."
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

[david caruso]

It seems to me that hiring this man to head P&G...

(puts on sunglasses)

...is something of a gamble.

[/david caruso]

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        [david caruso]

It seems to me that hiring this man to head P&G...

(puts on sunglasses)

...is something of a gamble.

[/david caruso]

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Won't get fooled again
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Emily Procter approved that message.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm not saying he was a bad pick, I'm saying he is probably going to piss a lot of people off. Right now is a great time to be proactive in instigating change, and I think that is what this guy is here. I'm looking at this move as an indicator for a buy opportunity on the company. My concern, still, is that the company only sells name brand items (which don't sell well in a recession) and the company claims that they will not compete in a market where they cannot be top dog. As I see it, with those conditions, and this guy in place, and recent acquisitions the company may be getting set to shed some fat... on a departmental basis. This means good things for the company and the stock, bad things for those who work there and this city.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

Won't get fooled again

It bothers me to no end that eight of the greatest minutes in the history of civilization are now forever sullied by their association with The Caruso.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Monkey!!!

Comment

I'll bet the new guy is the designated Hatchet man. Comes in, downsizes the company, gets a nice payday, and leaves for a new guy to come in to start the healing process.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's how it usually works. I don't see 'em much of a leader, my classmate is claiming he is by showing us this.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

The relationship between a new CEO and anyone beneath boardroom level at a large multinational is essentially nonexistent. This leadership doctrine is designed to impress board members and Wall Street, and may have contributed to the hiring -- but that's all. Any connection between this document and the CEO's actions will be random and/or convenient at best.

Trying to assign actual meaning to it is a complete waste of time.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        I'll bet the new guy is the designated Hatchet man. Comes in, downsizes the company, gets a nice payday, and leaves for a new guy to come in to start the healing process.
                        Dang rah, thats how i read it.

I was thinking about the "recruiting" issue, sure, i will help recruit a new person, limited experience for less money, kick someone who has much experience to the curb and cut overhead, then, like you stated, bring a new face in.

I can hear the new managers meeting

"Win-Win"

"Teamwork"

"Committment"

"Mission Statement"

"Focus"

"Priorities"

Oh yeah, pump up the new folks and wind em up like a top and send them on their way, spreading "The Cause" amongst the masses...
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                        X