Literarythreadi: A Clockwork Orange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Literarythreadi: A Clockwork Orange

Just read it, after checking it out from the library. WTF? I mean, okay, I get the whole conceit of the title, unnaturally imposing a mechanical regularity on a living thing by robbing it of its free will. But, bearing in mind Alex's behavior before and after the Ludovico treatment, I have to say the prospect doesn't bother me much. On the one hand, he can no longer enjoy music or coitus, and he tries to kill himself. On the other, until he is "reprogrammed" back for asinine political reasons, he is also incapable of the following activities he once enjoyed:

-Assault and battery
    -Breaking and entering
    -Armed Robbery
    -Child Rape
    -Gang Rape
    -Gang Warfare
    -Murder

On balance, that sounds like a very reasonable trade for society to make. Alex can go ahead and take up stamp collecting or kite-flying or whatever other recreational activity he can think of that doesn't involve penetrating someone with a knife and/or penis. Meanwhile, the prisons don't have to cram in dozens of little snots like him OR put up with lots of "ultra-violence." The only worrisome aspect, that the authorities could abuse the same conditioning to make people do anything at all, is mentioned but not really explored. Instead it's "Ooooh, poor Alex, he can't rape a pregnant woman, cut out the fetus and kick it around with his droogs anymore," or whatever he would have done next. I'm cool with that. Oh, and he's helpless before the comical wrath of angry, weak old people at the library.

More important question, not addressed: what the hell is up with this society, that there are so many kids running around doing some Paul Bernardo-type ****? Yeah yeah, humans have free will like the preachy preface says, but so do I, and even the worst kids at my middle school in a sleazy suburb of DC didn't act like that. I think part of the problem might be the apparently legal establishments where minors are allowed to quaff psychoactive drugs in their milk. Not the whole problem, but part of it. They might want to look into closing them down, or at least regulating them so gangs of teenagers can't get loaded on something akin to PCP. And Alex seems to have some really lax parents, assuming they aren't just afraid he'll cut them.

I say "seems" and "apparently" because the book is bloody hard to understand; it's all narrated in this obnoxious slang which, according to the back cover, "brilliantly renders his and his friends' social pathology." No, their beating the elderly for fun renders their social pathology. The slang is just annoying. They don't use a few words for special or important concepts, like in real life; half the words are Cockney/Russian nicknames for body parts, and they never use any other word. A head is always a "gulliver," boobs are "groobies," then you have "rookers" and "glazzies" and "zoobies" and...gah! There's no glossary in the back of the book, so you have to deduce everything from context, and since half the words are this invented slang there's precious little context to deduce from. And few of the words, aside from the ubiquitous "horrorshow," have any clear etymology to shed light on their subculture.

Can anyone else shed light on why this book is famous? Is it just that Kubrick made a movie out of it?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Clockwork was a good book for me. The apparent "you cannot change the instinct of man" idea, and that regardless of ones experiences one may just be a sadistic maniac no matter what. The Ludovico technique worked like it was supposed to, and with correct control and proper use they could have rid the society of violence, slowly lessening its actual use of the technique over time. When violence subsided to reasonable or extinct levels then the technique would only be needed in small doses. Those doses being the violent by instinct people.

Kubrick did a great job, he ended it with evil always triumphs. Where the book ends with "wow, should I have a real life now?" And yes, the invented slang is obnoxious, but I kind of just read passed it, or I didn't get caught up on them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
    "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

According to the foreword, the final chapter was omitted from the American edition of the book, upon which Kubrick based his movie. Supposedly he wasn't even aware of the missing chapter until quite late in production.

The conclusion I'm leaning towards atm is that ACO is one of those philosophical novels that works out a perfect Agathonian logic and never quite realizes that it all sounds absolutely ****ing stupid to the uninitiated.
      1011 1100

Comment

Good point. I forgot Kubrick didn't know about the final chapter. And yea, understanding ACO is a touch on the debatable side.
        "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
        "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

The movie made me sick when it came out. I hated it.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            The movie made me sick when it came out. I hated it.
            Movie only a brit could understand

Comment

I understood that it was sickening.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The slang is to keep it from being dated. Also Burgess was a polyglot and linguist, and liked showing off.

The gist of the book's meaning is that the Ludovico treatment is bad because it removes Alex's humanity. Even Alex the ass is better than the "clockwork" Alex. His eventual maturation in the 21st chapter is the happy ending.

That said, it's not the greatest book ever, and it's not for everybody.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Read Earthly Powers - it's by far the better book.

I strongly suspect ACO would not have been nearly so popular without the film.
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                    The slang is to keep it from being dated. Also Burgess was a polyglot and linguist, and liked showing off.
                    'course, Ender's Game did the same thing much more simply and effectively, without sacrificing intelligibility--and AFAIK, Orson Scott Card isn't a linguist. I suppose Burgess sort of went too far with it, got carried away.

The gist of the book's meaning is that the Ludovico treatment is bad because it removes Alex's humanity. Even Alex the ass is better than the "clockwork" Alex. His eventual maturation in the 21st chapter is the happy ending.

That said, it's not the greatest book ever, and it's not for everybody.
                    Thing is, Alex the ass does horrible, horrible things, and clockwork Alex doesn't. Alex the ass is a very strong case for the death penalty. And "clockwork" Alex doesn't seem so clockwork to me. He still thinks more or less freely, he's just constrained from thoughts or acts of violence. His sensitivity to music is a flaw in the procedure that could easily be fixed, it seems. The book simply does not make its case very effectively IMO. The philosophical or theological objections can't stand up to the practical benefits of not having a bloodthirsty maniac running around. You can argue that it's kinder to kill him, but not that he was better off as a mega-delinquent.

IRL, of course, the procedure would not be practical just because of "extinction," which Burgess either didn't know about or left out. Every time the undesired thought/behavior occurs without the punishing stimulus being administered, the mind/body's association of the two weakens. Given the regularity with which he has to confront violent images, I'd give Alex a month, tops, before he could easily rape and murder to his heart's content. Especially because they used regular reinforcement, which is the easiest type to extinguish.
                    1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                    X