No announcement yet.

European Assassinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and there's Alexander II, assassinated by a Pole.
    Alexander III survived assassination attempts as well, also planned by Russians and Poles together.

"I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

There is one UK Prime Minister who was assassinated in office, about 200 years ago. But he wasn't Head of State.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Abraham Lincoln, elected in 1860, was assassinated. Since that time, every US President who was elected in a year ending in "0" died in office -- often by assassination...until Reagan [elected 1980], who was almost assassinated and GWBush, who almost choked to death on a pretzel his first year in office.

This is a pretty inane observation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
          Abraham Lincoln, elected in 1860, was assassinated. Since that time, every US President who was elected in a year ending in "0" died in office -- often by assassination...until Reagan [elected 1980], who was almost assassinated and GWBush, who almost choked to death on a pretzel his first year in office.

This is a pretty inane observation.
          oooh! ya got me!

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
            There is one UK Prime Minister who was assassinated in office, about 200 years ago. But he wasn't Head of State.

Spencer Perceval- and the assassin was probably of unsound mind at the time, so a political motive is unlikely in that instance.

The later 19th Century was the time to be extra careful if you were European royalty or a French President- all those frightful Nihilists, Fenians and Nationalists of assorted quaintness....
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Post WWI at least one and maybe more heads of state in Hungary were killed. Was a lot of chaos at war's end throughout the "new" states. Not sure how many were assassinated, but lots ended up dead.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Olof Palme seems to be the last one in Europe I recall (of any stature).

And don't forget Archduke Franz Ferdinand, too
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                X