new strain of H1N1 virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new strain of H1N1 virus

Brazilian scientists have identified a new strain of the H1N1 virus after examining samples from a patient in Sao Paulo, their institute said Tuesday.
    The variant has been called A/Sao Paulo/1454/H1N1 by the Adolfo Lutz Bacteriological Institute, which compared it with samples of the A(H1N1) swine flu from California.

The genetic sequence of the new sub-type of the H1N1 virus was isolated by a virology team lead by one of its researchers, Terezinha Maria de Paiva, the institute said in a statement.

The mutation comprised of alterations in the Hemagglutinin protein which allows the virus to infect new hosts, it said.

It was not yet known whether the new strain was more aggressive than the current A(H1N1) virus which has been declared pandemic by the World Health Organization.

The genetic make-up of the H1N1 virus and its subvariants are important for scientists.

Pharmaceutical companies are working to mass produce a vaccine against the current A(H1N1) flu.

There are fears though that it could mutate into a deadly strain, much in the same way as the 1918 Spanish flu -- also an A(H1N1) virus type -- did when it killed tens of millions around the planet.

According to the WHO, 36,000 people in 76 countries have been infected with the H1N1 virus, causing 163 deaths.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

It has started.

Are you still on this?

You fearmongered on this when it first broke, we're all still alive.

Find a new pony.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Unbelievable!
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This horse will never die
        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Pandemic officially.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            Are you still on this?

You fearmongered on this when it first broke, we're all still alive.

Find a new pony.
            It's not over, just begun to start.
            I'm sorry, just the truth.

Comment

A preliminary analysis has also shown that several of the proteins involved in the pathophysiology of the virus are most similar to strains that cause mild symptoms in humans. This suggests that the virus is unlikely to cause severe infections similar to those caused by the 1918 pandemic flu virus or the H5N1 avian influenza.[24]

IT IS STARTING OMFG
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

what has started ?
                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

End of the world IIRC

Comment

According to the WHO, 36,000 people in 76 countries have been infected with the H1N1 virus, causing 163 deaths.
                    Pandemic-shmamdemic. I'd be willing to bet 163 people world-wide have died falling down elevator shafts or tripping over their own shoelaces in the same time frame.
                    Last edited by DirtyMartini; June 17, 2009, 11:57. Reason: spelling of shmamdemic
                    The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      End of the world IIRC
                      That sucks !
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyMartini View Post
                        Pandemic-shmamdemic. I'd be willing to bet 163 people world-wide have died falling down elevator shafts or tripping over their own shoelaces in the same time frame.
                        And that's the truth. Wake me when it kills more people then the regular flu.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                        X