Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Groundbreaking for construction of new space port.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You do realize that electricity transmission becomes rapidly unviable when the distance between source and consumer exceeds ~1000km, right?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That's why we're going to invent room-temperature superconductors. Duh.

Comment

The problem with solar power has nothing to do with finding empty space to put the panels in. Or even that much to do with hours of sunlight. Solar panels are just plain expensive. When they become cheaper and/or more efficient then it will be more viable. This is a slow, iterative process.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
          That's why we're going to invent room-temperature superconductors. Duh.
          Seriously. If and when, that will be the most important technological breakthrough since the transistor.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

(assuming the production cost can be brought down to something reasonable, of course)
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Also assuming we don't invent general-purpose AI first.

Comment

The cost to produce solar panels is coming down rapidly as the big boys with scale and industrial know-how are becoming involved. I'd encourage you to take a closer look at what's going on in this space. Especially in thin film silicon. This field is now non-bull****.

On the contrary, the biggest problem I see with solar is the system costs. The prices for those items (inverters, etc.) is not on a similar cost slope as the panels.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

On the contrary, the biggest problem I see with solar is the system costs. The prices for those items (inverters, etc.) is not on a similar slope.

While you're obviously well outside your area of expertise in claiming this, it's starting to be outside mine as well.

Dan, in a large power generation setting the non-panel infrastructure costs of solar power should be far lower than the costs of the panels themselves. You can string a ****load of panels together before you run the power through your inverters, transformers etc.

Also, I have slightly more knowledge of the issues involved in solar power than the average physicist. Not that much more, but enough to know how much further we have to go. And it's a long way, with no obvious, easy answers coming up.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Are you sure you're not thinking of residential/boutique solar power generation? In those settings the cost of an inverter can be a much more significant part of the total cost of the system.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Of course, it is outside my area of expertise on the utility-scale solar. But for somebody buying an inverter for their home panels, it is becoming a fairly large percentage of the expenditure.

It seems to me that we can live with rather ordinary conversion efficiencies -- within striking distance of most CdTe and silicon thin-film outfits. Now the discussion is about large-scale manufacturing.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

NB: Home solar panel installation is viewed by some as never being economical -- that's why they focus on utility-scale solar. Strictly speaking, this might be true on a retrofit. But these thin-film panels are large, uniform black and will look very good as, say, a replacement for fiberglass shingles on new construction. They'll look very slick. Roofs are expensive.

Comment

Working...
                        X