Laptop recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop recommendations

My sister-in-law wants to buy a laptop for internet, ipod, and maybe a bit of word processing.

I was going to recommend her this one :http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-3557.aspx (she's loads of Tesco vouchers to use so want to get from there) but realised that it has an integrated graphics card. I haven't had an integrated graphics card for years and so don't know the limitations (the most system intensive game she'll play will likely be solitaire...). Will it be jerky watching tv shows on BBC iplayer?

Does it look like it will be suitable for her purposes?

She should buy my netbook for $200+shipping.

But seriously, if she's only looking for internet, ipod, and some wordprocessing, she should look at netbooks. They are far cheaper, smaller, and have a longer battery life. And Dells are poo.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The problem with netbooks would be the smaller screen. She will be using it to watch tv shows she's missed and so wants a decent sized screen.

I've got a Dell and it does the job!

Comment

Then she should just buy a desktop. A 17" screen on a laptop is going to be a pain to lug around. Or get the netbook and hook it up to an external monitor. She can travel with the netbook and use the external monitor when watching TV shows at home.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'll suggest it to her. I think she doesn't want a desktop as it takes up to much room but won't be taking the laptop outside the house so being too hefty isn't such an issue.

Comment

Does your sister in law have any developmental issues? Tell her to get a Mac Mini and a 22 inch $200 monitor. Total cost, cheaper than the **** you picked.

Comment

She wants to get it from there as she's got vouchers to use. Even the one I picked can be bought with more RAM, faster processor and separate graphics card for the same price from Dell. I don't know why she doesn't use the vouchers for her standard grocery shop but have already recommended she go elsewhere to buy it so she probably won't get from them.

She'll occassionally bring Word documents home so it'll be easier for her to use them on Windows. She's not savvy when it comes to computers. Also she's never used a Mac (neither have I, aren't they for "trendy (pretentious) people") so may not want to get one.

Either way, I basically wanted to know how powerful a laptop would need to be to suit her purposes.

Comment

So, we're buying a computer for an irrational person who wants to spend more money than is necessary just to open Word documents and we aren't considering a Mac. This thread is ****ed

Comment

Take your pill, Wiggy.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Buy a large flatscreen display, wireless KB and mouse, and a netbook. One that can render video fast enough.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Mac Mini

Not a laptop, but is really tiny and powerful. We have a few here at the office and they do alright. We are screwy here in the we have both Apples and Macs and no one seems to use the same one for everything.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        Take your pill, Wiggy.
                        Cyanide, maybe? One can only hope.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Just so you don't embarrass yourselves in the future: cyanide doesn't kill you unless you bite into the pill, actually. This is why Hitler had to shoot himself.

Comment

I just looked at the Apple website, the Mac Mini is more expensive, doesn't come with a monitor and has less RAM. If a £400 laptop does what she wants there's no reason for her to spend £500 before she's even got a monitor.

Comment

Working...
                            X