Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sky is falling!!!

14-year-old hit by 30,000 mph space meteorite

Gerrit Blank, 14, was on his way to school when he saw "ball of light" heading straight towards him from the sky.

A red hot, pea-sized piece of rock then hit his hand before bouncing off and causing a foot wide crater in the ground.

The teenager survived the strike, the chances of which are just 1 in a million - but with a nasty three-inch long scar on his hand.

He said: "At first I just saw a large ball of light, and then I suddenly felt a pain in my hand.

"Then a split second after that there was an enormous bang like a crash of thunder."

"The noise that came after the flash of light was so loud that my ears were ringing for hours afterwards.

"When it hit me it knocked me flying and then was still going fast enough to bury itself into the road," he explained.

Scientists are now studying the pea-sized meteorite which crashed to Earth in Essen, Germany.

"I am really keen on science and my teachers discovered that the fragment is really magnetic," said Gerrit.

Chemical tests on the rock have proved it had fallen from space.

Ansgar Kortem, director of Germany's Walter Hohmann Observatory, said: "It's a real meteorite, therefore it is very valuable to collectors and scientists.

"Most don't actually make it to ground level because they evaporate in the atmosphere. Of those that do get through, about six out of every seven of them land in water," he added.

The only other known example of a human being surviving a meteor strike happened in Alabama, USA, in November 1954 when a grapefruit-sized fragment crashed through the roof of a house, bounced off furniture and landed on a sleeping woman.
    I call BS. They posted a photo of the kid but not of the scar or the "crater"?
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Also, that kid is clearly a girl, and they totally made up the 1 in a million number.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I find it highly improbably that someone hit by an object moving at 30,000 mph in the hand, would still have a hand. More likely he was hit by debris when the meteorite impacted the ground. If it put a foot wide crater in the ground, it should have done the same to him first. The ground is much harder than a human being.

I suppose it's possible that it grazed his hand, rather than impacting it.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

In this matter, I agree with Che.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I don't.

If it put a foot wide crater in the ground, it should have done the same to him first. The ground is much harder than a human being.

In my mind this is precisely why the ground got a foot-wide crater.

The meteor could have punched through his hand so easily that it left very little of its kinetic energy behind. When it hit the ground, on the other hand (ahem) it dumped all of it.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It seems particularly unlikely to have 'bounced off'.

Comment

Honestly, there's a good chance that the wound WAS from debris rather than the meteorite itself, but I don't think it's necessarily obvious that a meteorite strike would be deadly or disfiguring.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I wouldn't either, except for the foot wide hole it put in the ground.

I suppose his hand could have been shoved aside by the shock wave from the meteor, again, causing his had to be grazed as the meteor whizzed past.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If only it had been a toilet seat.
                  "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I think it obviously grazed the hand. A direct hit from an object travelling 30,000 MPH would have torn off a hand.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Nasty three inch scar implies only an entrance wound not an exit. It would have to be such a glancing blow that 'bounced off" is extremely unlikely.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

They think it was travelling at 30,000mph when it reached the ground?
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

KH can you tell me if, say, a plane is crashing, and I jump off the plane 20 seconds before it crashes, will I survive and fall hramlessly?

Comment

The only way to know for sure is to try.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

There must be a way to do it in a lab?

Comment

Working...
                              X