Leaving Forever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1858 - 1855. I think you mean devolved?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Who is Lincoln?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I think he designed a car.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

No, because we know MrFun is a racist, so in his view it took Lincoln a while to see the light.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
            I think he designed a car.
            I thought Lincolns were rebadged Fords.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Wasn't Ford a former president?
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I'm so confused!

Comment

Did anyone here study history???

Comment

Ford Prefect was a president?
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      His PERSONAL beliefs on race changed over time to the point of being very progressive for his time period. What Ries quoted and other similar racist quotes are examples of, are when Lincoln had to appeal to racist voters.

What I had quoted was a personal letter he had written to a good friend of his. Also later on, toward the end of his life, he wanted to test the idea of equal suffrage for blacks by extending voting rights to black men in Louisiana as part of his Reconstruction plans. Lincoln also carried out friendly, respectful correspondence with Frederick Douglas and visited with him at least a couple of times.

His ideas on blacks did not devolve - it evolved and it also depended on whether we are looking at his persnoal correspondence that express his true beliefs/values, and also whether we're looking at when he was publicaly addressing staunchly racist voting audiences, or somewhat more open-minded/progressive voters.

Lincoln had become progressive in his view point on race, even if for pragmatic reasons, he had to appeal to voters during a time when white supremacist ideology was mainstream and all too commonplace.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

WHO IS LINCOLN?

Club thread Bunch of people talking about someone no one knows!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                          WHO IS LINCOLN?

Club thread Bunch of people talking about someone no one knows!
                          George Lincoln Rockwell, founder of the American Nazi Party. Basically, Mr. Fun is arguing that this guy and his followers were not a racist.

BTW, I've found a new avatar for Mr. Fun:

Last edited by Riesstiu IV; June 12, 2009, 10:04.

Comment

Does anyone remember the gay Ku Klux Klan Dave Chapell skit?
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I'm so glad I never had any students like you guys when I taught history classes.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

"Did anyone here study history??? "

LOL this is the funniest thing Asher has said in a long time on some levels...

Asher, showing his contempt for lowly BA proles yet again...
                                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Working...
                                X