Apple blows its load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple blows its load

Well, the big dev conference was today in SF. The big news really seems to be that Apple is getting semi-serious about gaining market share, with new Macbook Pros coming in at $300 less than their predecessor models. The 15-in has 7-hour battery life and all have added SD card slots.

The new iPhone 3GS was announced, basically with all the predicted features. Has 3 MP camera with video, motion camera, audio. Same price points as previous version (199/299), but double the memory. The existing 3G will stick around and be dropped to $99. (This is a key time for iPhone, since the original 2-year ATT contracts for early adopters are about to run out.)

There was also something about MS Exchange support for the Mail and Calendar functions, so they're definitely trying to be more enterprise-friendly.

The new OSX, Snow Leopard, is scheduled for September. $29 -- again, looking for market share.

I'm told there were also multiple on-stage demo failures of new apps.

No appearance by Jobs.

OK, back to work now...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

With the new OSX be able to run on non-apple hardware?

And cool on the new laptops, I will probably get a Mac laptop next so...

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The speech was hilarious.

Highlight: Right after calling Windows 7 nothing more than a reworking of Vista and mocking MS for it -- and I mean right after -- he started talking about Snow Leopard...the successor to Leopard...and how all it is is a "refinement" of Leopard. To top it all off, he then launched into demos of features Snow Leopard will add that are almost universally already in Vista or are in Windows 7. All while mocking MS. He then spent 10 minutes demoing basic Microsoft Exchange functionality.

Delusional.

Snow Leopard is a huge disappointment. Early reports were Grand Central Dispatch was a universal threadpool manager, that could dispatch threads either to the CPU OR the GPU through OpenGL. Looks like they gave up on that, and now it's a simple Threadpool service (something that's already existed in the MS .NET world for many years). OpenCL (GPU programmability) support is coming too, but it'll be separate...and again, this is a feature the MS world has had for years. And FINALLY Quicktime is hardware accelerated...years after media players on Windows were hardware accelerated.

And the iPhone upgrade? The only real new feature is a competent camera and the same CPU that's already shipping in the Palm Pre. Quite an upgrade, of course, but come on now.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The obvious rebuttal is that Leopard was actually a good OS while Vista was a piece of ****. Simply refining the former is a much better idea than refining the latter.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
          The obvious rebuttal is that Leopard was actually a good OS while Vista was a piece of ****. Simply refining the former is a much better idea than refining the latter.
          Vista is a far better OS than Leopard is. Snow Leopard is just now reaching feature parity (multi-threading, 64-bit capability, GPU acceleration, etc).

The fact that vendors released understable drivers for Vista while vendors don't release drivers at all for MacOS is not a check in their win column.

Apple took a successful hatchetjob to Vista's rep, and you're one of many mindless peons who sucked Jobs' **** to that tune. Congratulations. Their absolutely desperate attempt to keep it up with Windows 7 was just embarrassing for them today. Windows 7 is almost universally loved, and they're trying to tell people that "Vista = 7". What does that say about their attacks on Vista?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

And yes, if there was a demo today it likely ended in spectacular failure.

Mac fanboys still laugh about the infamous Windows conference failure, but I barely find a mention of the spectacular failures at this conference. The best failure was when Sawyer from Lost was on stage looking like a tool holding a guitar doing jack ****.

Comment

Vista is a far better OS than Leopard is.

Vista isn't even better than XP...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

For me, the big news was pricing. No low-end help AFAIK, but the MBP is an even better value proposition now, and $99 is a great price for an iPhone 3G.
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                  For me, the big news was pricing. No low-end help AFAIK, but the MBP is an even better value proposition now, and $99 is a great price for an iPhone 3G.
                  They removed the ExpressCard slot.

Edit: BTW, they didn't really cut the price of the MBP. They just renamed the unibody Macbooks "Macbook Pro" and added a 15" "new Macbook".

If you want the discrete graphics in a MacBook Pro (like they all used to have), it starts at $1999 still.
                  Last edited by Asher; June 8, 2009, 21:28.

Comment

Busy workday for me today, so I just caught a liveblog during a break and started the thread. Sounds like you've got way more detail than I. As always, your knowledge is appreciated. What I see:

There's a $1699 MBP now; cheapest previously was $1999. It has an SD card slot (which I would use often). It's slimmer, lighter, better constructed and has longer battery life. I've never needed the ExpressCard.

Maybe they know their audience?

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                      Busy workday for me today, so I just caught a liveblog during a break and started the thread. Sounds like you've got way more detail than I. As always, your knowledge is appreciated. What I see:

There's a $1699 MBP now; cheapest previously was $1999. It has an SD card slot (which I would use often). It's slimmer, lighter, better constructed and has longer battery life. I've never needed the ExpressCard.

Maybe they know their audience?
                      They removed the actual graphics chip from the 1699. That's what made a MBP a MBP before.

It's a 15" former unibody Macbook with a MBP label.

1999 is still the cheapest for a discrete-graphics MBP, as before.

Comment

Yeah, the removal of the graphics card is big. Looks like I would still be looking at the more expensive one.

Does it have a new chip?

Any announcement on the Air?

If I am still going to continue doing development in ROOT/linux, then I would prefer a Mac over the Windows+Linux that I currently use.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                          Yeah, the removal of the graphics card is big. Looks like I would still be looking at the more expensive one.

Does it have a new chip?

Any announcement on the Air?

If I am still going to continue doing development in ROOT/linux, then I would prefer a Mac over the Windows+Linux that I currently use.

JM
                          The air got considerably cheaper.

Still far more than its contemporaries.

Comment

Currently I use Office on a Windows machine, then have to use Cygwin or something to do development from it which is subpar... or I have to have Linux running as well.

Would be better to have one place where I could have terminals/Office/etc.

Cheaper is good.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Asher, I've watched the demo of 7's multitouch features on Channel 9, and I think MS doesn't get it.
                              Graffiti in a public toilet
                              Do not require skill or wit
                              Among the **** we all are poets
                              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X