X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official: Afghanistan is Vietnam

Army Deploys Old Tactic in PR War

By MICHAEL M. PHILLIPS

BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan -- Body counts are back, reigniting the decades-old debate about whether victory in war can be judged by measuring the stack of enemy dead.

In recent months, the U.S. command in Afghanistan has begun publicizing every single enemy fighter killed in combat, the most detailed body counts the military has released since the practice fell into disrepute during the Vietnam War.

The practice has revealed deep divides in military circles over the value of keeping such a score in a war being waged not over turf, but over the allegiance of the Afghan people. Does it buck up the troops and the home front to let them know the enemy is suffering, too? Or does the focus on killing distract from the goals of generating legitimacy and economic development?

American commanders have detailed nearly 2,000 insurgent deaths in Afghanistan over the past 14 months. U.S. officers say they've embraced body counts to undermine insurgent propaganda, and stiffen the resolve of the American public.

"It's a concern that at home, the common perception is this war is being lost,"
    says Lt. Col. Rumi Nielson-Green, spokeswoman for the 101st Airborne Division, which initiated the policy.

Are dead civilians counted in the number?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Why don't they just outsource the combat operations to the Vietnamese? They're capitalists now, and who better to fight in the 'new' Vietnam than real Vietnamese?

Comment

ahem, memememememem, lalalalalala

TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Don't you realise this is the "good war" Che?
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The only good war is the class war.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
              But surley spreading capitalism to feudal Afganistan helps the ultimate victory of communism?
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

But defeating imperialism spreads it faster.

Comment

We're sending little girls to school Che. How can you argue against that?

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                    I tried that back in high school and almost got expelled for unruly behavior.
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                      Are dead civilians counted in the number?
                      If they are dead they were obviously an "enemy combatant" or "terrorist sympathizer".
                      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

True that. Innocent people wouldn't be getting bombed.

I anticipate some impressive enemy casualty numbers in the coming months.

Comment

This . . . . .

sucks.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Wasn't Iraq supposed to be another Vietnam?
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Nah - that was the Klingon War.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X