Random thoughts of Classes at the U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random thoughts of Classes at the U

You could likely figure out who I am -- but if you do you really need to get a life. Below is some thoughts of some classes at the University of Minnesota.

Physics of Matter (Physics 3 for non-physics majors)

Over 40% got a W,D or F in this class . This class is broken. The teacher said the book and TA's where weak to my face without me asking. Smart people should get at least a C+ without too much trouble. Dumb people are DOA. For average people like me it depends if you where proactive enough ... Being proactive is not the same as understanding the material.

For example you need to be aware for how the teacher awards credit in the class. There was the easy 'infinite quantum well' problem whose 'infiniteness' was important. If you drew it a little off you got at most a 4/10. However if you did not know what the height in the well was (I thought it was the Joules of the electrons) you got a 7/10... Patterns like this became clear if you asked the right questions. I passed with a C.

ORG CHEM I

This is a 6-credit class but it is listed as a 3-credit class. The book even says this when it says "this class moves to fast to catch up". I think that this is NOT okay...

(The fact that the U says 'Graduate in four years !!!11!!', making people take a lot of credits and that getting a poor grade hurts your chances of getting into the upper division of your major adds to this...)

However this did not effect me because I was 'credit-light' and could dump in the extra hours ... To give you an idea how broken this class was 36.5% was the D+/C- cutoff and everyone in that class already passed CHEM I and II

CALCULUS 4

A fun class that teaches you how to use matrices. This is a useful skill. I got a B while actually having fun.

IT CAL. 3

The extremely weak book makes proactive students like me have a large advantage. I got a B easily.
    You suck and should kill yourself by jumping off a gaint lego.
    33.33%
    Do something else (this includes eating bananas).
    66.67%
    “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Fractured spelling and syntax makes me yearn for spambots...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Thanks for this valuable information.

Comment

With that wandering thought pattern you should clearly be a folk singer.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

So... you enjoying being in college?

Comment

Who are you and why should we care about your weakass skills in physics and math?
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Also, LOL at the thought that you're somehow taking a heavy courseload. You ****ing *****.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

(The fact that the U says 'Graduate in four years !!!11!!', making people take a lot of credits and that getting a poor grade hurts your chances of getting into the upper division of your major adds to this...)

You little *****. Why shouldn't you graduate in 4 years? Your 4 class courseload makes me sick. I hope you rot in hell. You should flunk out and learn that you're never going to amount to anything. You're barely passing intro classes at a 3rd rate public university. You're not fit to carry books for real students.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post

You little *****. Why shouldn't you graduate in 4 years? Your 4 class courseload makes me sick. I hope you rot in hell. You should flunk out and learn that you're never going to amount to anything. You're barely passing intro classes at a 3rd rate public university. You're not fit to carry books for real students.

Those four random classes are not my courseload.

The fact that you are very strong blinds you a bit. The average GPA for students who get into the U is 3.77 and even higher for IT. Physics I and II have 20% D and F rates due to the fact its graded on the curve. Physics III has around a 60% pass rate because the teacher does not grade on the curve.

Assuming that a 3.77 is the 65th percentile that means I'm stronger then 84% of highschool grads.

EDIT: The average ACT score for people who get in is at least 25. This is the 80th percentile!
                  Last edited by MJW; May 27, 2009, 01:57.
                  “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                    So... you enjoying being in college?
                    Yes!

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                    With that wandering thought pattern you should clearly be a folk singer.
                    I have to agree with everyone who thinks the writing in the above paragraph is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      Also, LOL at the thought that you're somehow taking a heavy courseload. You ****ing *****.
                      Agreed, that reminds me of when I was taking 6 classes with 3 labs one semester. I think it was the semester after that I finally burned out and dropped my course load to 5 classes a semester. I guess people who only take 4 or less classes much work longer hours.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                      X