US house prices freefall continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US house prices freefall continues

These nationwide price falls are relentless -- 2.2% from February to March. About one-third off the peak of July 2006. There's got to be ton of folks underwater, making it impossible for them to move.

Poor Minneapolis dropped 6.1% in just one month. Detroit fell 4.9%. Phoenix fell 4.5%. Las Vegas 3.8%. And so on.

New York and Boston are finally joining the fun with falls of 2.5% and 2.0%, respectively.

Denver and Charlotte are the only two out of 20 metro areas to have price increases.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

My house has apparently lost ~17% since I bought it in June of 2007. That's just going off of Zillow.

That doesn't really bother me, except for the fact that I'll have to pay PMI if I refinance (the other option, the Freddie Mac Relief Refinance program, waives PMI by forces you to refi through your original lender. Without the ability to shop around, the quoted rates are .5 - .75% higher than the national average).

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Property prices have been looking less bad on this side of the pond lately, but we're by no means out of the woods...

Still, not a problem unless you have to sell.
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I saw a graph of the housing markets of the US, UK, Spain and... I forget the 4th one. Shockingly enough, ours looked the least inflated. Yikes.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Good news for those of us who were being priced out of the market. Bad news for everyone else.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Either way, my mortgage is at least 25% cheaper than a comparable rented property.
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
              These nationwide price falls are relentless -- 2.2% from February to March. About one-third off the peak of July 2006. There's got to be ton of folks underwater, making it impossible for them to move.
              Jingle mail + renting

Not impossible at all.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                Either way, my mortgage is at least 25% cheaper than a comparable rented property.
                Then your house was almost certainly bought prior to some substantial and unexpected increases in local property values which the recent housing downturn have not wiped out.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                  Jingle mail + renting

Not impossible at all.
                  Well, impossible while keeping your credit rating intact.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Does this mean I should buy a house in DC as opposed to renting?
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Only if you think we've hit bottom. And I think we're still a ways off from that.

But, hey, average home price in Detroit is now something like $12,000, so there's an investment for you.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                        Only if you think we've hit bottom. And I think we're still a ways off from that.

But, hey, average home price in Detroit is now something like $12,000, so there's an investment for you.
                        I just bought a car for 50% more than that. wtf?
                        Last edited by Lorizael; May 26, 2009, 14:21.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Why bother even buying a house in Detroit? There are several thousand that have just been abandoned for years - help yourself!
                          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Exactly.

Detroit's population is down over 50% from its peak in the mid-20th Century, when it was the fourth-highest in the nation, and arguably the second-most important after NYC.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                              This is ridiculous advice.

He should buy instead of renting if he thinks that the discounted value of future (imputed) rents on the type of housing he wants in the area he wants is higher than the price he would have to pay, once all tax advantages etc. are thrown in.

Nobody can time a market bottom. At least nobody here. And there is no need to.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X