Would you visit this exhibition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you visit this exhibition?

An exhibition called 'Sight Unseen' has opened at the California Museum of Photography which showcases the work of twelve blind photographers from around the world.

The curator of Sight Unseen, Douglas McCulloh, explains how visually impaired people are able to capture such beautiful images.
    ???

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

There's also a vid report, dunno if the photo guys approved it though.
    Blah

...dunno if the photo guys approved it though.
    Neither do the photo guys know WTF images are actually being used. Great scam.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Would you visit this exhibition?

Yes. Blindfolded.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

All joking aside, this is pretty amazing.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

No. I'm not an exhibitionist.

Comment

I wouldn't pay but if it was free I'd go.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
              ???

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

There's also a vid report, dunno if the photo guys approved it though.
              Awesome stuff. I like the commentary.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I remember an exhibition recently held in Centre Pompidou about emptyness.

An entire story of the building was dedicated to the theme, lo and behold: there was nothing in it. Nada, noppes. I seem to recall it was a cooperation by a number of 'artists' too, which makes it all the funnier of course.

Read this article about it.
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

"modern art" at least the blind photographers have something
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    All joking aside, this is pretty amazing.
                    QFT
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

An exhibition by blind photographers demonstrates the problems I have acknowledging photographs as "art". It seems to me that photos by blind photographers is no more "art" than paintings produced by elephants or other animals (including small children). One may appreciate (like) a piece, no matter the source. That's a question of personal taste. What makes it "art", however, is the artists context/input/will. In the case of abstract painting, for example, clearly their is a world of difference between the intent of "bessie the elephant" and Jackson Pollock. One may purchase and mount a "bessie original" on the wall and appreciate it every day, but it's not "art".

Certainly, some photography is "art". In the case of blind photographers, however, I dont see how their intent can be manifested in a photograph, at least not without the aid of sighted "helpers". I suppose it could be compared to many pieces of art where artisans or students are employed to finish a piece started or concieved by a "master". In those cases, however, the "master" has already established their place as an "artist", and I'm not sure that has happened here. Just how would a blind photographer judge whether the photo reflects their intent?
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                      X