No announcement yet.

[serious] One of my co-op students is a Mac fanboy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asher, you have been presented with a unique opportunity, both to observe the fanboi in a work environment and to expose him to things he would otherwise never learn. Merely converting him to your tech world is boring; your challenge is to make him believe it was his idea.

Have fun. Keep us informed.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I've already got him feeling tempted. After he was raving about how awesome Haskell was, I introduced him to F# (a Microsoft language) which does everything Haskell does, but better and with more. He then said he'd still prefer Haskell, and I found him a Haskell .NET compiler so it can work in MS' .Net as well. He ran out of things to say.

I may have a new minion in three months.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

One of my co-op students is a Mac fanboy
        Kill him.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
          You don't really need one...the emulator is pretty solid.

It's a pretty slick app and API.
          It is more the principle of being able to run whatever software I want on my own hardware; the dev phone can be flashed with an unsigned operating system. I may feel like changing some aspect of the base operating system.

And be able to whatever apps I want without arbitrary limitations from my carrier: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03...oid_tethering/

Since it costs about the same as a normal locked version, I think it is a no-brainer.
          http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
            Everybody ridicules Microsoft.... until they use Itunes.
            Actually, I've griped at Microsoft, but iTunes hasn't make me stop. If anything, it's only made me gripe at Apple more.

Everybody ridicules Itunes.... until they use Games for Windows Live.
            Everybody ridicules people who use Games for Windows Live. ****, why would you do that? It's like taking a hammer to your nutsack.

Get Stardock and Steam, and be happy.
            B♭3

Comment

Not having to use a mouse in a business app is a very useful feature. The system we are working hard to replace is a green screen app, and the new one is built by moronic Hindoos on Oracle Forms. I can work at least two times faster in the former.

Make him work with Objective C and Cocoa till his (NSEyes) bleed, and then let him switch to C# and WPF.
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Classic View Post
                Actually, I've griped at Microsoft, but iTunes hasn't make me stop. If anything, it's only made me gripe at Apple more.
                I've actually gotten used to Itunes. I no longer think it is sucktacular. Just lame.

And, hey, maybe someday Apple will figure out how to download album covers. Or how to adjust the size of text.

Everybody ridicules people who use Games for Windows Live. ****, why would you do that? It's like taking a hammer to your nutsack.

Get Stardock and Steam, and be happy.

Why? Fallout DLC. It will be uninstalled as soon as I am done with that.
                VANGUARD

Comment

You don't need G4WL to play Fallout DLC.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                    You don't need G4WL to play Fallout DLC.
                    That is how you download it.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      That is how you download it.
                      Yes, but you don't need it to PLAY them. Install, buy and download the DLCs, pry the esms out of G4WL, uninstall.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                        I've actually gotten used to Itunes. I no longer think it is sucktacular. Just lame.
                        The more I use it, the more I hate it.
                        B♭3

Comment

Working...
                        X