Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO Greenlights Fantasy Television Pilot for George R.R. Martin’s A Game of Thrones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
    Name me a single TV program or movie from a fantasy novel (sword and sorcery types not Harry Potter) that isnt a POS. Dont bother with LOTR, I could barely watch that travesty.

How about The Princess Bride?
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Not epic fantasy.

Comment

George RR Martin has a lot of television experience.

He, or Neil Gaiman, are our best bets for getting good fantasy up on the screen.

And while the movies weren't nearly as amazing as the books, the Jackson movies were still good and I would like it if he did the hobbit as well.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
          OK I was a bit negative. I'm still traumatized from watching Conan The Barbarian 27 years ago.
          Wait, what? Conan was freaking awesome!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
            Not epic fantasy.

He didn't say "epic."
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Point.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
                He didn't say "epic."
                It is what I meant though I did like the princess bride movie but have never read the book (and I have >1000 in my collection).
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  Wait, what? Conan was freaking awesome!
                  OMG! I suppose you're thrilled by endless scenes of Conan running across the prairies
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Hearing Schwarzenegger say "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women" makes any movie a win.

Comment

Plus, he punched a camel.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I don't have HBO, but if it's any good it will eventually come out on Hulu, or DVD, or something.
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          Uh.. you have heard of HBO, right? You know, the people that brought you Deadwood and the Sopranos, etc?
                          and let's not forget carnivale, imran. and didn't they cancel deadwood way before its time, promise us a movie and fail to deliver because they couldn't stop suckling at the soprano's teat?
                          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Deadwood was canceled due to $$.

And the movies were never made because Milch was working on something else and the actors had moved on.

Comment

exactly my point: they bite off more than they can chew, develop a rabid fanbase and then cancel because they decide the budget is too much after the fact.
                              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Yeah, because that's exactly what they did with "The Sopranos", "Six Feet Under", etc (and "Big Love" just got a 4th season) .

"Carnivale" was deep sixed because of poor ratings. "Deadwood" cost too much. "Rome" was a joint venture with the BBC in a 2 year contract and the BBC balked at continuing (and it was originally supposed to be a miniseries, so the cost would have been ok for that, but spread over a season was too much).

Comment

Working...
                                X