Help Lori Not Go Homeless.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Lori Not Go Homeless.

So, in June, the lease is up on the townhouse I'm renting with three friends, and we're going our separate ways. My original plan was to move to Seattle and start a new life, but then this whole recession thing happened and the job market in Seattle dried up. My next plan was to find a little apartment somewhere around DC (I currently live in a DC suburb) and live on my own for the first time.

But now I need a new plan. Because the company I work for ain't doing too hot. And they just announced that, in order to get through the summer, they're "asking" all of their employees to work only four days a week for the next three months. So I'm taking a 20% pay cut at a time when I need more money for moving expenses. I was planning on asking for a raise; I guess that's not going to happen now.

I have virtually no savings and I just bought a car, so I don't have much in the way of assets to float on.

As I see it, these are my options:

1. Find another job (either a new full-time job or a part-time job to supplement my current one).

2. Sleep in my office.

3. Go back to living with my parents.

4. Find a roommate on Craigslist and live frugally.

5. Go postal.

6. Sell my body to the night.

What do you think, 'Poly?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Suck it up and live with the 'rents and stockpile cash til the market gets better. Then do your move.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Group house. Get connected.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Move in with another DC Polytubbie.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I'd go with what Asher said. And also look for a new job in the meantime. If the company is cutting 20% of hours it might soon start cutting jobs entirely.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

More flexibility to move elsewhere in the country if you aren't tied into a house.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

I should probably point out that selling my body to the night is more palatable than moving back in with my parents. I wasted the money they spent sending me to college and I'd really rather not ever have to ask them for anything again.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

1. Go back to living with my parents.

2. Find a roommate on Craigslist and live frugally. (You can find a good, fun and caring roommate if you filter enough)

Edit:

You don't want to live with your "girlfriend" for some times?
                bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  I should probably point out that selling my body to the night is more palatable than moving back in with my parents. I wasted the money they spent sending me to college and I'd really rather not ever have to ask them for anything again.
                  Wasted? Did you get a philosophy degree?
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

English IIRC.
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Oh, ****

Comment

Originally posted by CrONoS View Post
                        You don't want to live with your "girlfriend" for some times?
                        We haven't been together very long. Living together would be a bad idea.

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Wasted? Did you get a philosophy degree?
                        I didn't get a degree.

Comment

Why not?

Comment

Sneak in your parents house when they've gone to bed and sleep on the couch. Leave before they get up in the morning. Or sleep in your car.

1) should probably be your priority if possible

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              Why not?
                              Depression sucks. Signing up for classes and not showing up is much cooler. But that was several years ago. I'm better now.

Comment

Working...
                              X