Woman in her 30's sleeps with teenage boys to protect her daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh, Dis, it's 16 in most states.

Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
      time to hit the high schools!

seriously I don't think it's under 18 anywhere in the U.S. You can marry a 16 year old with parental permission, but the consent is still 18 I believe. I could be wrong of course... But that is what I've been told.
      Trust me here. You're wrong. Several states have the general age of consent for sex at 16, and Alaska has it at 13. Introduce a special relationship, like teacher/student, though, and that ratchets it up to 18 in Nevada, among other jurisdictions.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

13! you have to be kidding. What kind of messed up state is that? good thing we didn't elect Palin prez (you knew John was gonna die in office).

Actually as I was saying if you know the consequences you should be able to consent. I know a test sounds silly, and it is. But if you can answer those basic questions of consequences of sex (ie pregnancy, various std's, jilted ex's) then you should be able to consent.

Comment

(1) being 16 years of age or older, the offender engages in sexual penetration with a person who is 13, 14, or 15 years of age and at least three years younger than the offender, or aids, induces, causes or encourages a person who is 13, 14, or 15 years of age and at least three years younger than the offender to engage in sexual penetration with another person;
          that's what I thought. most states have laws stating people over 18 can't have people age 16, 17 etc. It's different if it's two 16 year olds. But if it's a 40 year old woman and 16 year old boy, it's illegal. The above is for Alaska, so the ages are younger. But not in my state. interesting.

1. “Perpetrator” means a person who commits a sexual assault.

2. “Sexual penetration” means cunnilingus, fellatio, or any intrusion, however slight, of any part of a person’s body or any object manipulated or inserted by a person into the genital or anal openings of the body of another, including sexual intercourse in its ordinary meaning.

3. “Statutory sexual seduction” means:

(a) Ordinary sexual intercourse, anal intercourse, cunnilingus or fellatio committed by a person 18 years of age or older with a person under the age of 16 years; or

(b) Any other sexual penetration committed by a person 18 years of age or older with a person under the age of 16 years with the intent of arousing, appealing to, or gratifying the lust or passions or sexual desires of either of the persons.

4. “Victim” means a person who is subjected to a sexual assault.

Comment

13! you have to be kidding. What kind of messed up state is that? good thing we didn't elect Palin prez (you knew John was gonna die in office).

Actually as I was saying if you know the consequences you should be able to consent. I know a test sounds silly, and it is. But if you can answer those basic questions of consequences of sex (ie pregnancy, various std's, jilted ex's) then you should be able to consent.
            I don't necessarily disagree with your larger point, in the same sense that if you can pass your driver's test with a .15 BAC, you should get a license to drive at .15 or lower, but there's a big difference between knowing the consequences and being able to factor them into a decision on a course of action (even assuming sobriety, etc.). I think the latter would be more important to a determination of whether someone was familiar enough with the consequences to be deemed capable of consent.

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
              I don't necessarily disagree with your larger point, in the same sense that if you can pass your driver's test with a .15 BAC, you should get a license to drive at .15 or lower, but there's a big difference between knowing the consequences and being able to factor them into a decision on a course of action (even assuming sobriety, etc.). I think the latter would be more important to a determination of whether someone was familiar enough with the consequences to be deemed capable of consent.
              I understand that. But as mentioned earlier, even some adults can't fully understand the consequences. At some point ignorance and stupidity is not an excuse. I won't touch the alcohol, drugs issue. That's another thread entirely.

Comment

But if it's a 40 year old woman and 16 year old boy, it's illegal.

No. Learn to read.

3. “Statutory sexual seduction” means:

(a) Ordinary sexual intercourse, anal intercourse, cunnilingus or fellatio committed by a person 18 years of age or older with a person under the age of 16 years; or

(b) Any other sexual penetration committed by a person 18 years of age or older with a person under the age of 16 years with the intent of arousing, appealing to, or gratifying the lust or passions or sexual desires of either of the persons.

This does NOT preclude 40 years old + 16 years old.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I didn't mean my state, I was talking about people who live in reasonable states. My state isn't a reasonable state. We have legalized prostitution after all.

Comment

I understand that. But as mentioned earlier, even some adults can't fully understand the consequences. At some point ignorance and stupidity is not an excuse. I won't touch the alcohol, drugs issue. That's another thread entirely.
                    Completely agree that at some point, and age provides a convenient bright-line for that point, society has to say that a person should understand the consequences and is on his or her own to bear those consequences, whether he or she actually understands them or not. Indeed, imagine the chaos that would ensue when, to protect oneself against a statutory rape charge, one needed to ask even the obviously 35-year old chick at the bar for her consequence test results. BAC-adjusted driving licenses would be easier to implement.

Comment

Secondly, the way I read the Alaska statute, the age of consent is 16, with a 3 year window opened for pairs in which both are under 18.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        Secondly, the way I read the Alaska statute, the age of consent is 16, with a 3 year window opened for pairs in which both are under 18.
                        ya that's the way I read it. I was under the impression other states (back east for instance) had similar things for the 16 to 18 bracket. 18 being the age of consent, but if both are under 18 they can do it down to 16. My state is not one of those of course.

At least now I can feel less guilty about looking at high school girls. In fact, if I see a girl with a backpack, I just look away. But now...

Comment

For the US:

16: 31 states + District of Columbia
                          17: 7 states
                          18: 12 states

Most states are 16, Dis.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

that's what I thought. most states have laws stating people over 18 can't have people age 16, 17 etc. It's different if it's two 16 year olds. But if it's a 40 year old woman and 16 year old boy, it's illegal. The above is for Alaska, so the ages are younger. But not in my state. interesting.
                            That's not what it says, and it needs to be read in conjunction with the preceding section:

(a) An offender commits the crime of sexual abuse of a minor in the first degree if

(1) being 16 years of age or older, the offender engages in sexual penetration with a person who is under 13 years of age or aids, induces, causes, or encourages a person who is under 13 years of age to engage in sexual penetration with another person;

(plus further subsections regarding special relationships between the partners, as I mentioned above)
                            In essence, under 13 is a strict age of consent limit (guess I should have said 12 above ). Now enter the part you quoted, which sets aside 13-15 as a "soft limit," in that they can consent in certain situations, i.e., when the other person is less than three years older. Once Alaskans hit 16, they're able to consent in any situation.

Comment

States with 18:

Arizona
                              California
                              Delaware
                              Florida
                              Idaho
                              North Dakota
                              Oregon
                              Tennessee
                              Utah
                              Virginia
                              Wisconsin
                              Wyoming
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Solomwi, age of consent is generally taken to mean the age at which an individual can legally consent to sex with ANYBODY.

The age of consent for AK is thus 16...
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X