No announcement yet.

High Cost of being poor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus's have a huge social stigma. Poor people ride buses and we don't want to be like poor people or, in fact, sit next to poor people

Maybe in faggy cities like San Diego, but not in real American cities.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Drakie is once again so cleverly clever.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I rode the bus tonight in a real city.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• America has loads of empty space and was mostly built after cars, Europe is mostly full and was mostly built before cars. We need and have better public transport.

Public transport in NY was awesome though. Very like a European city.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

• You laugh, hell I laugh at that, but that pretty much is a Republican argument against mass transit. Yes, Republicans are stupid.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
              Bus's have a huge social stigma. Poor people ride buses and we don't want to be like poor people or, in fact, sit next to poor people and while we're at it red blooded Americans are extremely selfish and don't want to pay taxes to help dirty poor people. Especially since they might not be white, no doubt are already on welfare, and paying icky things like bus routes only encourages more poor people to move there which no one wants.

You laugh, hell I laugh at that, but that pretty much is a Republican argument against mass transit. Yes, Republicans are stupid.
              But we are talking about poor people, aren't we? Why can't the local council or what have you introduce a new bus route or reroute an existing one. Even if your bus company is in private hands, wouldn't a route that attracts lots of people be viable?
              Just how far is the nearest Wal-Mart, K-Mart or anything comparable from the Washington monument?
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• As currently conceived, few bus routes are viable in the States. The fares charged on DC's bus system cover only 40-50% of the costs to operate the system, for example.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• ~ 10 miles to the nearest Walmart
                  ~ 7 miles to the nearest Kmart

There are smaller supermarkets, such as Giant Foods which is more like 3 miles away.

Then there are even smaller supermarkets like Safeway and Whole Foods, which are closer. However, the closest Safeway is called "Soviet Safeway" and Whole Foods is called "Whole Paycheck," both for obvious reasons. The larger Safeway stores in the suburbs of DC are much nicer.
                  Last edited by DanS; May 22, 2009, 13:59.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• There are buses from your area to the Giant.

And another interesting bit regarding Walmart being so far away is that in the liberal city centers people do their best to drive out big box stores like Walmart. They argue that they drive the smaller, independently owned shops out of business.

Of course those independently owned shops charge a lot more than Walmart. They also argue that the low wages and poor benefits Walmart pays hurt the poor in their area.

I wonder whether Walmarts really are good or bad for low income folks.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• And both Giant and Safeway deliver for a reasonable fee. You need a credit card and internet access/computer for that, though. And you need to be able to read.

Comment

• As currently conceived, few bus routes are viable in the States. The fares charged on DC's bus system cover only 40-50% of the costs to operate the system, for example.
                        This is the real republican argument v. buses. And it makes a good deal of sense.
                        -
                        I do not like riding buses because they are mostly filled with vagrants. I was a bit concerned about hearing one vagrant ask some others where the pawn shop was "because he found some sh** he needed to sell"

And I am accosted about every 3rd time I exit a grocery for money or food. I give nothing, but am always a bit concerned.

The beggars knocking on my apartment door also worry me. I no longer answer the door.
                        -->Visit CGN!
                        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Beggars knocking on your door? Where the hell do you live?

Comment

• ...Just a little outside of downtown.
                            There are two tiers of beggars.

ONCE- Actual beggar
                            MUCH MORE OFTEN- (sketchily dressed person) "I'm ah... collecting for my ah... youth group..."
                            EVEN MORE OFTEN- (reasonably dressed middle aged person or 10 year old kid.) "Would you like to purchase cookies for the cause of homeless youths?")
                            -->Visit CGN!
                            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• How often do people knock on your door?

Comment

• Several times per week.

Since I stopped answering the door about 3 months ago, though, it only happens once a month. With the coming of Summer, I expect the visits to increase.
                                -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Working...
                                X