Who has the biggest....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krill View Post
    I'm just suprised you don't think Americans are stupid.

I mean, how hard is it to check for broken seals?
    Much harder than doing a proper integer cast in code.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I suppose it's harder to build a sand castle than draw one in paint as well.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know about you, but mine is definitely harder after reading this article

Comment

Well, Canadians are the real experts on broken seals. Especially little ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston View Post

Well, Canadians are the real experts on broken seals. Especially little ones.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

We smash the skulls of both seals and Danes.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Poor Canadians. Asher is proof they suffer from "little country" syndrome
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Canada is bigger than your country. Fact.

Comment

Ice floats don't count
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

This thread is worthless without pics.
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

Astronauts in big trouble - couldn't use the proper tools due to being live-streamed

Breaking news, live coverage, investigations, analysis, video, photos and opinions from The Washington Post. Subscribe for the latest on U.S. and international news, politics, business, technology, climate change, health and wellness, sports, science, weather, lifestyle and more.

The Astronaut's Dilemma

If you're an astronaut, you may occasionally face a dilemma that does not affect other Americans. It comes into play in situations such as the one that unfolded today, when Drew Feustel and John Grunsfeld attempted to remove the Wide Field and Planetary Camera 2 from the Hubble Space Telescope. As I detail in a story for The Post, the camera was held in place by a single bolt -- and it wouldn't budge. The astronauts used their best tools on it, changed bits, ran down a list of contingencies, fetched a new tool from the airlock, and kept fussing and badgering and wrenching and twisting and shaking that bolt for the better part of half an hour.

Back in Houston, the scientists who had spent a decade of their lives building the replacement camera -- and keep in mind these things are huge, inevitably compared to baby grand pianos -- were apparently about to lose their minds with tension. If the astronauts couldn't remove the bolt, the old camera would stay in, doing its 8-track cassette version of astronomy.

And so the astronauts kept turning and twisting and kvetching and grunting -- and still the bolt wouldn't move.

It was at this moment that the core dilemma of being an American astronaut reared its gnarly head: Unlike other people, astronauts can't swear.

Maybe they could back in the days of The Right Stuff. But those guys weren't miked all the time. These astronauts are so wired they're actually tweeting the mission.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of bad language. Indeed, I'm very conservative on this score, in general. But it is a time-honored technique of mechanical engineering to lubricate a recalcitrate bolt, screw, nut or nail with prodigious amounts of vulgarity.

Certain words act like WD-40. I cannot specify them in a family blog.

But astronauts, being heroes, are merely permitted to use incomprehensible jargon and astronaut-words like "egress." They are not allowed to utter the very easily understood words that are deemed to be obscenities.

If those astronauts on Thursday had not been miked and live-streamed on NASA TV, I guarantee you the dialogue out there in the payload bay would have been something like this:

Grunsfeld: Give the little piece of [vulgarity] a really hard shove.

Feustel: I already gave the [vulgarity] a turn so [expletive] hard I can't believe the[vulgarity] is still [expletive] stuck.

Grunsfeld: [Expletive.]

Feustel: [Expletive] A.

Grunsfeld: OK, Here's the plan: Together, with all our strength, let's just heave the [vulgarity] to the left and hope for the [expletive] best.

Feustel. Great idea. Here we go.

Grunsfeld and Feustel (in unison): [EXPLETIVE!!!!!]

Grunsfeld and Feustel: It's loose!

Mission Control: We copy that. Superior work, gentlemen. Now lets move on to the next [extremely offensive expletive] task.
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                        X