Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, if a car 25 years old or older is an antique...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actuallly, they've changed the definition or I was simply misinformed.

Classic Car Club of America

The Classic Car Club of America defines a CCCA Classic or is as a fine or distinctive automobile, either American or foreign built, produced between 1925 and 1959. Generally, a Classic was high-priced when new and was built in limited quantities. Other factors, including engine displacement, custom coachwork and luxury accessories, such as power brakes, power clutch, and "one-shot" or automatic lubrication systems, help determine whether a car is considered to be a Classic.[1]

Any member may petition for a vehicle to join the list. Such applications are carefully scrutinized and rarely is a new vehicle type admitted.[2]

This rather exclusive definition of a classic car is not universally followed, however, and this is acknowledged by the CCCA: while it still maintains the true definition of "classic car" is its, it generally uses terms such as CCCA Classic or the trademarked Full Classic to avoid confusion.

[edit]
    United States legal definition

Legally, most states have time-based rules for the definition of "classic" for purposes such as antique vehicle registration; for example, Pennsylvania defines it as "A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance."

[edit]
    Antique Automobile Club of America

The Antique Automobile Club of America defines an antique car as 25 years old or older.[3]
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Suite 101 is the go-to source for how-tos, home inspiration, DIY, and other ideas to try. Our team of experts is here to help you improve your home and life.

An antique car as defined by the Antique Automobile Club of America must be at least 25 years of age or older

the Classic Car Club of America defines a classic car as: "...fine or unusual motor cars which were built between and including the years 1925 to 1948
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I have a memory card for a Vic 20 on my desk.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          You kids learn computer stuff early these days. I never had to do any numerical work in undergrad which couldn't be achieved with Excel (even this was only for lab classes; specifically, error analysis).
          Seriously? They had you use Excel? In the physics department? Could they not afford Matlab licenses or something?

Comment

We didn't have to use anything. It was just easiest to use Excel.

The most complicated thing we did was to take a bunch of measurements (~100) with a bunch of different sources of error (~5), enter these into a spreadsheet, use the maximum likelihood method (actually, most stuff was linear, so regular linear regression) to determine a parameter and determine the standard error on this estimate.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I went straight from Excel to C, Fortran and C++

**** that intermediate ****. I hate Matlab and Mathematica. My wife uses those, and she's in bimbo physics.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

"Bimbo physics"... what's that? Is it like "boob physics" they use in beach volleyball videogames?

Comment

Medical physics
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

We had some mathematica/maple stuff to do in applied analysis/advanced lab. Occasionally for integrals.

I also learned fortran.

Then I didn't use anything, really, until I became an experimentalist. Now I spend most of my time with C++.

I have always hated excell though. We used psigma plot/etc because excell didn't do error properly in undergrad.

I do use mathematica to check my algebra/etc sometimes.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      I went straight from Excel to C, Fortran and C++

**** that intermediate ****. I hate Matlab and Mathematica. My wife uses those, and she's in bimbo physics.
                      The stuff Mathematica does isn't anything a sane person would do in C.

(No sane person writes Fortran.)

Comment

Mathematica doesn't do numerical integration?
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

yeah, yeah. * the stuff Mathematica is does and you're supposed to use it for blah blah

You know what I mean. Symbolic integration, symbolic whatever, you'd much rather do it in Mathematica than in C. If you do it in C you're just going to be feeding strings to a Mathematica-like symbolic package anyway...

Comment

BTW, I consider anybody who uses a program to do analytic manipulation of any kind to be barely human.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Most of the physicists I know who actually use the three Ms regularly are using them to do numerical stuff, and are doing so simply because they aren't any good at doing real numerical work.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I once watched a high energy theorist run a numerical integration in 5 dimensions in Mathematica. It ran for 4 days and didn't converge. I wanted to throttle the guy.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X