Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do if this were your daughter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do if this were your daughter?

The Las Vegas Review-Journal is Nevada's most trusted source for local news, Las Vegas sports, business news, gaming news, entertainment news and more.

The fight started over a razor.

Karen's 14-year-old daughter thought her mother was using hers, the mother said. The girl was upset, began yelling. Her father tried to quiet her down.

She kicked him in the groin. He slapped her.

She called the police.

The call that police received was that the girl had been beaten by her father who had left, according to police. Twenty minutes later the girl called police back, claiming that he was coming home and that she was bleeding from her arm and had a black eye.

Police dispatchers summoned 28-year-old officer James Manor and another unit.

Manor wouldn't make it.

Karen is a 34-year-old homemaker who wouldn't give her last name. She didn't want to identify her daughter.

Karen was a Clark High School graduate, class of 1994.

Manor was a Clark graduate. Class of 1999.

Friday evening, Karen stood on the second-story landing of the Ritz apartments, a lower-income complex on Flamingo Road a mile and a half east of where Manor collided with a pickup en route to the call. There she reflected on the pointless tragedy.

"I feel kind of guilty. I really do," she said, fighting back tears. "I've got that hanging over my head, and I think that's always going to be over my head."

Later, she added: "It makes me feel like I'm the one that got him killed."

Karen said neither she nor her husband were home when their daughter made the calls. She was at the hospital being treated for kidney failure. Her husband had gone to pick her up. When they arrived home, Karen took the phone away from her daughter and explained to dispatchers that the situation wasn't what she had made it out to be.

Her daughter didn't have any marks on her face and wasn't hurt. Her husband, on the other hand, couldn't walk for much of Thursday.

Her daughter had trashed the apartment while her parents were gone, however. The mirrors were smashed. Karen's perfume bottles were in pieces.

When an officer showed up about an hour later, he was calm and polite, Karen said. He explained that there were options for dealing with her daughter.

She told him her daughter had rage issues and was seeking treatment.

The officer left without making an arrest.

Karen didn't find out until later through news reports that an officer responding to her daughter's call had died. She didn't tell her daughter.

"I had no idea who he was, but I heard he was a very good man," she said. "I'm very sorry for his family and for everything else."

A few minutes later, Karen's daughter came bounding up the stairs, a petite blonde with a ponytail in black jeans and a black T-shirt.

Karen stopped her and put a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm going to tell you something," Karen said. "You know that night, with you and your father? That night that you had called is the night that police officer died because he was coming to your phone call. But we're going to stop at that."

Her daughter blinked.

"I'm hungry. Did you eat my doughnut?"
    Sadly one of our local police officers lost their life because of her. Granted, it was just circumstance, and bad luck. She didn't directly cause his death.

I may have wanted kids a few months ago, but I take that back. Good thing I didn't actually have any. I really wouldn't know how to deal with this. I'd ship her off to one of those boot camps for kids. What else could you do with her?

It's kids like these that make you think kids in this country are worse than we were growing up. But I'm sure she's just the exception, I'm sure most kids are pretty decent. Aren't they? OK they aren't. . Most drop out of high school and want to be in a gang because tough guys (and girls) get more respect. But maybe that's just where I live. Perhaps kids in normal cities are better.

Also this girl scared me off women for good. I've come to the conclusion women are just bat**** insane. Why can't they be normal like men?

Shoot her.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Disown her...
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I'd admit I had failed (at least in this specific regard) as parent I guess. Kids are usually the way their parents raise them to be. That includes in what type of environment you choose to raise the kid and who/what you choose to pass off parenting responsibilities to.

Comment

Dismantle her for parts, reformat the memory core, and then purchase a new one.
          B♭3

Comment

"I'm going to tell you something," Karen said. "You know that night, with you and your father? That night that you had called is the night that police officer died because he was coming to your phone call. But we're going to stop at that."

Her daughter blinked.

"I'm hungry. Did you eat my doughnut?"
            This is supposed to show this girl out to be completely uncaring, but it actually looks pretty much like a standard distraction technique. Rather than face-up to taking responsibility for their actions, they try to divert the conversation to something completely different.
            a.k.a. ainwood, CFC Forums Co-Administrator
            Some Ainwood guy is so up his arse that if he ever had haemharroids (sp), he'd have to take the cream orally! What a total dick!

Comment

I bet cops would go 50 bucks a head to beat her into submission and then gang **** her. I'd set her up in a back street motel, hang pictures of Jesus all over the walls, then turn the pigs loose on her. She's strong. She'll hold her own. I figure she can do about four at a time.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                I bet cops would go 50 bucks a head to beat her into submission and then gang **** her. I'd set her up in a back street motel, hang pictures of Jesus all over the walls, then turn the pigs loose on her. She's strong. She'll hold her own. I figure she can do about four at a time.
                I hope not! They wouldn't be very good cops then. Cops should never break the law. I know that sounds naive, but this should be the standard that all cops should aspire to. The only exception I can see is if someone's life is in danger.

Comment

This is supposed to show this girl out to be completely uncaring, but it actually looks pretty much like a standard distraction technique. Rather than face-up to taking responsibility for their actions, they try to divert the conversation to something completely different.
                  true in a way. I don't exactly like to admit when I made a mistake, especially when I was a kid. As an adult I usually do own up to it, but I don't like to. As a kid, I'd probably just say nothing if someone gave me the news that my actions may have inadvertantly led to the death of another person. What can you say really? I doubt she would say this to a grieving mother or widow. At least I hope not...

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
                    I hope not! They wouldn't be very good cops then. Cops should never break the law. I know that sounds naive, but this should be the standard that all cops should aspire to. The only exception I can see is if someone's life is in danger.
                    You sound like a massive püssy.

Comment

I prefer not to live in some kind of fascist goverment where goverment and law enforcement can do what they want.

Comment

I'd have her put in a juvenile detention center.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I would send her to see a shrink... OFTEN!
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I would sue the city for inflicting such emotional distress on my delicate princess.
                            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

And you'd probably win.

I think I'd sell her to a pimp.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X