Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most powerful and influental countries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the most powerful and influental countries?

Which countries, in your opinion, are the most powerful and influential? To me, it's obvious the US is #1, but who do you think comes next? China? Britain? Japan? Germany? Russia? The EU as a whole? And more importantly, do any of these countries/entities have the potential to overtake the US?

Luxembourg, Madagascar and Texas
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Vietnam defeated both China and the US.
      Blah

Comment

My list:

US
        EU (as a whole)
        China
        Japan
        UK, France
        Germany (very close to UK and France, but nukes tip the scale), Russia
        India

Those are the only global powers, other countries are regional powers only.

Countries capable of overtaking the US:
        -China (if it dosen't blow up once its economic growth goes below 4% it will be there by 2040 with current trends)
        -India (this is a long term possiblilty, no sooner than 2070)
        -EU (this ironically is not a long term thing, theoretically if the EU merged into a superstate its total influence would eclipse that of the US already. It is only a question of:

a) Will the EU survive this crissis and continue to expand and integrate?
        b) Does it integrate & expand fast enough to offset the constant relative decline of its member states?

if it happens at all it will happen in the late 2020's early 2030's)
        Last edited by Heraclitus; May 8, 2009, 09:16.
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

The EU is not a country. I know that allows the Europeans to try and claim #2, but reconcile yourself with reality

US
          China
          Russia
          India
          Japan
          France
          Germany
          Britain
          Brazil
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Finland uber alles!
            Monkey!!!

Comment

@ Achilles' gay lover

I note that israel is absent from your list... yet they have directly or indirectly determined your entire ME foreign policy and the cluster**** that is the war on terror.

Besides, you are listing miliary might, which shows your narrow minded approach to reality.
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

My vote is for Guinea Bissau
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I note that israel is absent from your list... yet they have directly or indirectly determined your entire ME foreign policy and the cluster**** that is the war on terror.
                  Ummmm, No.

Even if what you say were true little root, Isreal still wouldn't make the list.

Besides, you are listing miliary might, which shows your narrow minded approach to reality.
                  If I was listing military might then why is Japan above Germany/France/Britain? This having been pointed out to you, apply and post again when you have something relevant to add
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                    Luxembourg, Madagascar and Texas
                    Apparently Luxembourg has the highest carbon emissions per capita in the world - that's pretty influential...

Must be all the luxury burgers they eat.
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

What kind of a reply is ... "Ummmm no" ????

Now everything is clear to me. Value add

Re Japan, i missed that on your list... Still, in what universe would they be more influencial than UK ???

Comment

What kind of a reply is ... "Ummmm no" ????
                        When someone says something as patently ridiculous as what you did, it is actually more constuctive for everyone else just point out the ridiculousness of it and move on so that serious discussion is not impeded.

Re Japan, i missed that on your list... Still, in what universe would they be more influencial than UK ???
                        The universe of economics.

Comment

Canada
                          Finland
                          Israel

the rest are too unimportant to mention
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post

The universe of economics.
                            go on... you are on the right track here... you will figure it out...

Comment

Yes, we have all figured out you are an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                              X