Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on in Georgia?

Faux News:
    TBILISI, Georgia — Georgia said it had ended a brief mutiny at a military base near the capital on Tuesday that broke out after the arrest of a former special forces commander accused of planning to disrupt NATO exercises.

President Mikhail Saakashvili said in a televised address that the mutiny was an isolated case and the situation in the country was fully under control.

"I personally led negotiations with the mutineers and suggested they turn in their weapons and give themselves up to police" and had suggested force could be used if they declined, he said.

The mutiny followed an announcement by the Interior Ministry that it had uncovered a Russia-supported plot to overthrow the government and had arrested the suspected organizers. The defense minister said the mutiny was in response to the arrests the night before.

But the Interior Ministry later backed off and said the coup plotters, backed by Russian troops, were intent mainly on disrupting NATO military exercises set to begin Wednesday in Georgia.

An official in Saakashvili's office said the mutiny was effectively over and that the intent of the mutineers seemed to be limited to disrupting the upcoming NATO exercises. There was no evidence, he said, that they planned a coup attempt. Neither is there any evidence of Russian involvement. He spoke on condition he not be identified because he was not authorized to speak on the record,

Russia, which fought a brief war against Georgia last year, has sharply criticized the exercises, which it said would encourage Saakashvili to rebuild its devastated army.

Saakashvili has been the target of more than three weeks of street protests by opposition demonstrators demanding he resign. His government has accused Russians of supporting the opposition.

The official in Saakashvili's office said, "There's absolutely nothing going on in Tbilisi, at the base or anywhere in the country."

He said the mutiny was inspired by a small group of disguntled officers who were involved in a similar action at the same base in 2001.

Russia's NATO envoy Dmitri Rogozin was quoted by the Interfax news agency as saying the allegations of Russian involvement were "crazy."

Opposition leader and former Saakashvili ally Georgy Khaindrava said the reports of the planned coup were made up.

"It's nothing but a tall tale, and we've heard so many of them already," Khaindrava said. "Saakashvili could not make up anything smarter."

Interior Ministry spokesman Shota Utiashvili said the suspected coup plot was organized by a former special forces commander, Georgy Gvaladze. Gvaladze and an army officer on active duty have been arrested, the spokesman said.

He said the ministry has a video of Gvaladze talking to his supporters about the planned coup, and that he is shown saying that 5,000 Russian troops will come to support the coup, planned for Thursday.

Defense Minister David Sikharulidze said he had been blocked from entering the military base in Mukhrovani, about 20 miles from Tbilisi, the capital. The base's tank battalion of about 500 army personnel had announced that they would refuse to follow orders, he said.

Among the mutineers were civilians who had no relation to the battalion, he said.

The NATO exercises, which continue through June 1, were originally planned to include about 1,300 personnel from 19 NATO and partner nations.

But some former Soviet republics have recently decided not to take part.

Among the countries to back out was Armenia, which is dependent on Russia for its economic survival. Four other former Soviet republics — Estonia, Latvia, Kazakhstan and Moldova — and Serbia also had decided to pull out, the Russian newspaper Vedomosti reported Tuesday.

In brief: a tank battallion of a Georgian army rebelled, but was suppressed. According to my sources, no Russian involvement in this one.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Clearly there is Russian involvement.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This is too subtle.

The Russians led an undisguised invasion last year and nobody did anything. Tanks, planes, soldiers on the ground - the works. They got a few dozen miles from the capital before deciding the pwnage was sufficiently impressive and then leaving.

Why would they bother with a single Veteran Spy subvert-unit mission against a single Armor unit?
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
        According to my sources, no Russian involvement in this one.

I love you.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Typical KGB-style ratfvcking.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Question for you guys. Which Georgia sucks more, Georgia USA or Georgia USSR?

Comment

That's a tough one.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

That's a tough question.
                Georgia USA is populated by bigoted inbred hicks. Georgia xUSSR is populated by loud and proud but easily deflatable losers. The land itself is better in our Georgia, but American Georgia has better infrastructure. Maybe we could swap them for 50 years and see how things work out?

Comment

I met a nice girl last Nov. in Israel who was from Georgia.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                    I met a nice girl last Nov. in Israel who was from Georgia.

JM
                    I have a coworker who's Georgian. Nice bloke, but stands uncomfortably close when talking to people. By the way, did the nice girl you met have a moustache?

Comment

It's all pipeline politics.

The Georgian people should make Saakashvili into a Mussolini piñata.
                      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Russia was provoked by some off-topic trolls.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Sonny lied!
                          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                            Russia was provoked by some off-topic trolls.
                            Indeed - It all started when Georgia split off and started a rival website!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X