Taliban using human shields again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taliban using human shields again

And yet they still get sympathetic treatment from most of the media in the Muslim world. It's pretty pathetic really. Further more the failure of the Pakistani Army's offensive pretty much shows you they aren't capable of taking on the Taliban in a direct fight. I expect the Taliban to take over Pakistan in the next few years.

Taleban face human shields charge

Pakistan's army has accused Taleban militants of "reportedly" holding 2,000 villagers as human shields to stop an offensive in the north-west.

The military wants to clear insurgents from Pir Baba, an important religious shrine in Buner district, about 100km (62 miles) from the capital, Islamabad.

A BBC correspondent in Islamabad says it is not possible to verify the claim.

The military has been engaged in an offensive to remove insurgents from the Lower Dir and Buner regions.

The Pakistani government is trying to stop the Taleban extending its influence beyond the Swat Valley, an area which they largely control.

When the Taleban seized control of Buner last month, Pir Baba was one of the first places they took control of.

They still hold it, despite the army deploying tanks, helicopter gunships and warplanes to the district to defeat them.

Target slipping

The military says its operations elsewhere in the district are progressing well.

In a statement released on Monday, it said security forces had attacked Taleban positions in Buner and had killed seven militants, including an important commander.

Security forces have been battling Taleban militants in four of Buner's six sub-districts.

Militants are in control of the remaining two districts.

Buner resident Nasir Khan told Reuters news agency by phone: "There's been heavy firing going on since morning. It is very scary. Troops are using heavy artillery and gunships."

The BBC's Syed Shoaib Hassan, in Islamabad, says that although security forces appear to have the upper hand, the militants are resisting fiercely and it may be sometime before the forces can take complete control of Buner.

Their commanders had originally hoped to do this within a week.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

We can expect no less from such scumbags.

By fate or design, Pakistan is indeed headed for meltdown...
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Send the Texas Rangers. The law, not the baseball team.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sending Sloww to Afghanistan :d:

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

shoot the hostage.
          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Taliban

As if we needed more convincing how horrible they are.
            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
              Sending Sloww to Afghanistan :d:

JM
              On a one way ticket!

Pakistan is reaping the storm that it sowed. Maybe things would be a lot better if the US had concentrated its resources on its War on Terror and actually finished the job, instead of embarking on Bush's vanity project in Iraq...?
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Why don't you go talk them to death?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                  On a one way ticket!

Pakistan is reaping the storm that it sowed. Maybe things would be a lot better if the US had concentrated its resources on its War on Terror and actually finished the job, instead of embarking on Bush's vanity project in Iraq...?
                  We all know that. Either do the job in full force or don't do it at all. Bush and his cronies started a half-hearted attempt in Afghanistan and see where it got them...

However it should be noted that Islamic media does not report on this for reasons exactly like the ones that resulted in western media seldom reporting on abuses from western forces. I'm thinking of the secret prisons, renditions, spec ops and the like. For example, in the nineties Clinton continued to bomb Iraqi facilities on a regular basis, but American media rarely covered it at all.

Oerdin, it's endemic to most media coverage. That's why rare media such as the Independent etc should be valued all the more.
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I need a cite on Clinton's bombings.

Comment

Well, at least you accept Bush ****ed up in Afghanistan.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        What kind of cite? Clinton bombed Iraq repeatedly, just not very thoroughly. One of the critisisms against him was that he was perfectly happy to keep Iraq on a low simmer, not willing to move one way or the other.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                          I think the most well-known bombings were undertaken during operation desert fox in '98, but other operations were continuously being executed. Just wiki the damn thing, I thought most people familiar with Iraq around here would know about this.
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Sloww is a Republican, what do you think?

Comment

For example, in the nineties Clinton continued to bomb Iraqi facilities on a regular basis, but American media rarely covered it at all.
                              You are full of it. It was on the news whenever it happened. Provide some source for not only it being "regular" but also it being not reported.

I am curious as to how you are going to quibble and quatify "regular," primarily because I am sure it will be hilarious.
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X