I'm going insane staring at pics of the sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going insane staring at pics of the sky

The stars... they whisper to me. Dark stripes on the white sky grow deeper. Deep in space Rylo'him the foul awaits you! IT FEASTS ON THE AETHER!

Ok its not that bad but for the past few hours I've been searching for asteroids and its slowly getting to me. We're not talking about high tech stuff here its just an assignment for an astronomy class I have. I'm using fitsblink and the process is tediously slow. Does anyone have any advice? Even trivial stuff about how the human brain recognizes motion since I seem to be a bit slower to notice a tiny black dot moving more than the other tiny black dots dance around than my teammates.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perhaps a greater awareness of the cosmos is leading to self-enlightenment regarding a pre-existing condition?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
      Perhaps a greater awareness of the cosmos is leading to self-enlightenment regarding a pre-existing condition?
      I've had a chat with God and Elvis and we've decided that you are way off on the subject.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Why the **** are you taking an astro class?
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          Why the **** are you taking an astro class?
          I thought it would be fun and easy. I was wrong.

Comment

haHAH
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
              The stars... they whisper to me. Dark stripes on the white sky grow deeper. Deep in space Rylo'him the foul awaits you! IT FEASTS ON THE AETHER!

I think you've been staring at the wrong star.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Try using peripheral vision.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Write a program that looks for pixels which are significantly different between the two images.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If it's a FITS image (as it seems to be from the name "fitsblink") then there should already be IDL code around which does it for you (including all the nasty I/O stuff)
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Just do a Pekka and when confronted explain that you found a message written in the stars. You'll get an "A".
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        If it's a FITS image (as it seems to be from the name "fitsblink") then there should already be IDL code around which does it for you (including all the nasty I/O stuff)
                        Thanks for the advice, I'll google some stuff up and get to coding.

Comment

Working...
                        X