Oracle (Corporation) buys Sun (Microsystems) in $7.4B deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle (Corporation) buys Sun (Microsystems) in $7.4B deal

Glad the IBM deal fell through in the 11th hour...too much consolidation for my liking.

Even though I hate Oracle.

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Oracle to buy Sun in $7.4 billion deal
    by Jonathan Skillings

Oracle, not IBM, will be buying Sun Microsystems.

Oracle and Sun announced Monday that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Oracle will acquire Sun common stock for $9.50 per share in cash. That puts the value of the transaction at approximately $7.4 billion, or $5.6 billion net of Sun's cash and debt.

Oracle President Safra Catz said in a statement:

We expect this acquisition to be accretive to Oracle's earnings by at least 15 cents on a non-GAAP basis in the first full year after closing. We estimate that the acquired business will contribute over $1.5 billion to Oracle's non-GAAP operating profit in the first year, increasing to over $2 billion in the second year. This would make the Sun acquisition more profitable in per share contribution in the first year than we had planned for the acquisitions of BEA, PeopleSoft and Siebel combined.

Sun made its name as a supplier of server hardware during the dot-com heyday, but its best-known technology is software: Java. In the Monday morning announcement, the two companies said that Java "is the most important software Oracle has ever acquired."

Sun's board has unanimously approved the transaction. The deal is expected to close this summer, subject to Sun stockholder approval, regulatory approvals, and closing conditions.

Last month, reports surfaced that IBM wanted to buy Sun, but Sun didn't like the terms that Big Blue was offering.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Oracle President Safra Catz said in a statement:

We expect this acquisition to be accretive to Oracle's earnings by at least 15 cents on a non-GAAP basis in the first full year after closing. We estimate that the acquired business will contribute over $1.5 billion to Oracle's non-GAAP operating profit in the first year, increasing to over $2 billion in the second year. This would make the Sun acquisition more profitable in per share contribution in the first year than we had planned for the acquisitions of BEA, PeopleSoft and Siebel combined.

Not a spokesperson.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Sun hasn't made money for a long time. Best I can tell, it has been run like a non-profit. It's perplexing to me why these companies are falling over themselves to pay $7+ billion for Sun.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I still remember their massive $10B(?) quarterly loss not too long ago.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

You guys all suck.

This is huge.

What'll happen to Java?
          Will Oracle kill MySQL? Rebrand it?

Comment

The rest of poly is boycotting this thread because you failed to place it in the tech forum.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

This is a business thread, quite clearly.

Comment

Sorry, I don't think it's huge.

MySQL has a life of its own now -- everybody uses it. It would be tough for Oracle to kill it since it's open source. If Oracle does anything too bad, it will just fork.

Also, what do you propose that Oracle would do with Java that Sun hasn't?

Mostly, I see Oracle putting a lot of products out of their misery and laying off thousands. It is long, long overdue.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

MySQL is useless for most practical purposes without the support provided by the company. They can kill it off pretty easily except for niche FOSS implementations.

For Java, do they completely open up the language to reduce their cost? Do they completely close it off to shut out the community meddling it sees now?

I can see a lot changing. MySQL is starting to cannibalize Oracle's high margins in the web app market. It's a threat to them, and now they own it.

Comment

Google have already said they will fork MySQL.

If Oracle closes Java, .NET will stomp all over it. We'll probably see more support for Java in Oracle 12, and better support for SQL in Java. I'd rather they finally implemented ****ing union joins instead, of course.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

posting to sound all technical and important and make a bit deal of something in order to subtly troll other users so i can appear 100 times moar intellectual than i actually am on a daily basis in order to climb the never ending ego ladder than only matters sadly in the minds of the troll to begin with.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

If MySQL is shut, then I'm sure the folks who originally made the program will provide support.

I doubt Oracle could shut Java. As I understand, there are other implementations of Java available. Perhaps they are not quite in full conformity with the Java specification. But it is used in way too many applications (like mobile phones) for it to go away.

Comment

Last edited by DanS; April 20, 2009, 16:45.

Comment

Sun controls Java, though. There is even legal precedent for it -- they took Microsoft to court on it and won.

Comment

Isn't Google sidestepping Java licensing fees/control with Android? What implementation do they use?

Comment

Working...
                              X