Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Issues a Wake-Up Call: You May Be a Citizen

This seems odd.

Thanks to a new law, Canada will bestow citizenship Friday on what its government believes could be hundreds of thousands of unsuspecting foreigners, most of them Americans.

The April 17 amendment to Canada's Citizenship Act automatically restores Canadian nationality to many people forced to renounce it when they became citizens of another country. It also grants citizenship to their children.

The Canadian government doesn't know the precise number or location of individuals affected by the legislation. But it believes most are U.S. citizens, a spokeswoman for Canada's immigration office said. U.S. Department of Homeland Security records show 240,000 Canadians were naturalized in the U.S. from 1948 to 1977; the new law fixes problems that occurred during those years.

To reach that amorphous group of beneficiaries, the Canadian government has turned to YouTube. It's running an ad there titled "Waking up Canadian," in which a man awakens on April 17 to a room festooned with red-and-white Canadian flags. He's met by a welcoming committee consisting of two stuffed plush moose, a hockey player, and a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Eligible individuals automatically become Canadian citizens. But they don't get proof of that citizenship unless they apply for it, meaning other countries -- including those that allow people to be citizens of only one nation -- won't be alerted, according to the immigration office spokeswoman. Those people also may renounce their citizenship rights, she said.

The citizenship bonanza is the byproduct of a decadeslong struggle by a motley group of people who claim they were unfairly denied or lost their Canadian nationality. Canadian families who crossed the border in 1947 to 1977 to have their babies in a U.S. hospital found those children weren't recognized as Canadians unless the families registered them with the government. Some foreign brides of Canadian World War II servicemen lost their citizenship if they stayed out of the country for a decade or more.

Then there are the Canadian Mennonites who moved to Mexico in the 1920s to the 1960s. When their children and grandchildren returned to Canada, many found their nationality unclear.

Some such cases languished in litigation for years. Others surfaced in 2007, when new U.S. rules requiring passports for travel between Canada and the U.S. uncovered significant numbers of people who thought they were Canadian, but weren't. The old rules were "quite intricate," said Bill Janzen, an immigration lobbyist in Ottawa for the Mennonite Central Committee of Canada.

The new law offers citizenship to many individuals now in limbo. It also stops the previous practice of granting citizenship in perpetuity to children of Canadians born abroad, limiting eligibility to children of parents born in Canada.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

A dastardly plot to increase the reach of hockey
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"Sorry, the USA is backlogged on citizenship. Would you like a free sample of Canadian while you wait?"
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm sure people are very upset they now have access to free healthcare.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

First off, Canadian Healthcare is not free, and secondly, its one of the worst health systems in the world(I thank God that there is still Blue Cross, and other insurance providers). Also, it disgusts me, that we are just handing out citizenship, as if it were candy bars...God Help Canada...
          Please put Asher on your ignore list.
          Please do not quote Asher.
          He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

I didn't realize that the US ever forced Canadians to renounce citizenship in order to become US citizens; we don't anymore, so I guess there's a policy-conformity aspect to all this.

Also, hasn't Ireland done something like this? I believe they have, and I believe its had some positive economic impact (though, of course, Ireland's a much smaller country and probably has a much bigger diasporic population).
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Yeooowzer, I should show this to Karen Mills. Youtube video...

Found it.

This is what the site listed in in vid says...unfortunately Karen was born in the 80s sometime and not between the dates listed.

A new law amending the Citizenship Act will come into effect on April 17, 2009. The new law will give Canadian citizenship to certain people who lost it and to others who will be recognized as citizens for the first time. It will also protect the value of citizenship by limiting citizenship by descent to one generation outside Canada.

Find out more about the new law.

Frequently asked questions
              New citizenship law
              Adoption

True or False?
              To keep their Canadian citizenship, some Canadians born abroad must confirm their citizenship before their 28th birthday
              People who lost their citizenship between 1947 and 1977 when they were minors can regain their Canadian citizenship
              Children born outside Canada to a Canadian parent between January 1, 1947, and February 14, 1977, automatically became Canadian citizens
              Many Canadians born abroad have “lost” their citizenship
              World War II war brides in Canada are Canadian citizens
              Last edited by Lancer; April 18, 2009, 08:26.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Karen Mills is the daughter of Safronia Mills, a filipina and Terry Wayne Raymond Mills her father, a Canadian citizen. He married Safronia in the Jagna church, got her pregnant with Karen and abandoned them. Karen came to our house here in the Phils when she was seventeen or eighteen, something like that, with her mother. She asked for our help to make her a Canadian so she could go to work in Canada and support her family in the Philippines. They were destitute, living in the home of Safronia's sister who is married to a guy that had to support them and was abusive. They also took in laundry every chance they got but had no money to go for her citizenship. That's where we came in, we being the folks in the OT of Apolyton. In order to make Karen a citizen it turned out that we had to find the father and some of us here tried to find him and others gave advice but to no avail. So then I got a PM from Derek who contributed $300 towards their well being. That was the first real money they ever had and I'll never forget my friend Derek for starting things off. When he agreed I made a thread about it and others asked what they could do. In the end we furthered Karen's education and built them the first Poly House. Zkrib offered to double all contributions up to $500 just like he did this last time. Later Zkrib and Theben came to the Phils and met Karen and her Mom at the house they both helped build. Never could do anything about her citizenship however. She's married now to a seaman and doing pretty well. We ran into her in the mall in Tag and she was dressed nice and had been doing some shopping. Still, she is the daughter of a Canadian and as such has some rights maybe under this new law? There's a deal they have to fill out to see, we'll ask her if she's still interested.
                Last edited by Lancer; April 18, 2009, 09:27.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by bc1871 View Post
                  First off, Canadian Healthcare is not free, and secondly, its one of the worst health systems in the world

Are you serious? According to what?

Price effectiveness?
                  % of chance of cancer survival?
                  Wait times?

How Does The Quality Of Care Compare In Five Countries?

Results:In Exhibit 1 the country with the worst result for an indicator is given a score of 100. All other countries are given scores relative to the country with the worst result. The scales are structured so that higher scores always indicate better quality. For example, the breast cancer survival rate is 14 percent better (higher) in the United States than in England, and the suicide rate is 55 percent better (lower)in England than in New Zealand. The actual value of the indicator for the country with a score of 100 is given in the right-hand column, so that any country’s actual
                  value can be calculated from its score.
                  bleh

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    This seems odd.
                    Not really. Gaps in our citizenship requirements have created what are called "lost Canadians" over the last several decades. This is an attempt to put those cases right.

Simultaneously, there is concern over "Canadians of convenience" (citizenship holders that have few ties to the country) which represent the other extreme of our policies. Last year's war in Lebanon revealed the extent of this 'problem' when 10's of thousands used their canadian passports to demand this country come rescue them from the position they were in.

The new rules AIUI are intended to address both.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X