No announcement yet.

Favorite Autos from your childhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My best friend in high school (he's still my best friend even though a woman has taken him away to Seattle) used to drive a 1979 International Scout 2. Honestly it was a nice little off roader and we took it out to the boonies a lot.

Last edited by Dinner; April 13, 2009, 14:34.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

This kid I used to play AD&D with (before I stopped doing that around late 16) used to drive an AMC Matador which was such an ugly piece of **** it is no wonder AMC got into financial difficulties and got taken over.

Comment

In high school I would "borrow" my dad's Jeep after my parents went to bed. Being the considerate son I was I would roll it down the hill and bump start it near the bottom when I was a good distance from the house (so as not to disturb their sleep of course).

Attached Files
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
          One idea I'd been fiddling with is how to get the design copyrights and trademarks for these old cars.

When they were around, the fins and curves and other chassis accents were heavy and impractical because of the weight of the metal alloy used. Given how fuel-conscious Americans are now compared to back then, it's just not really feasible to drive a lot of the 1960s contoured showpiece cars.

But, with modern lightweight metal alloys, I wonder if the chassis weight could be reduced so that mileage per gallon could finally rise to a feasible value. Obviously, the extra weight will still be extra weight no matter how you look at it - and you won't be getting Honda-Civic mpg from these cars - but the mpg should be at least tolerable for actual driving, and the cars would be as strong as before but not as heavy.

I can see all sorts of legal complications for this idea, not least in tracking down who owns the design specs of these grand old car models, and whether they qualify as patents (in which case they're likely expired and public domain now) or, more likely, whether they qualify as copyrights/trademarks (in which case they're likely still in force and we'd have to trace the ownership from corporation to corporation).
          I would totally learn to drive if I could buy a car with badass fins that was not older than me.
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

You should learn to drive simply because it is a skill every man needs to know. Like how to fish and shoot a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
              You should learn to drive simply because it is a skill every man needs to know. Like how to fish and shoot a gun.
              Stop channelling redneck.
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

My Dad bought 2 of these when I was less than 10 years old (consecutivel, not concurrently). They are the one car that I have absolutely no bad memories of, so I will always love them.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post

My Dad bought 2 of these when I was less than 10 years old (consecutivel, not concurrently). They are the one car that I have absolutely no bad memories of, so I will always love them.
                  I had an Isuzu Pup...1985 very dependable, just kinda small for my frame
                  Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I think my dad had them from 1990ish to 95. Not sure, I was born in 1988, so I'd have to ask him about when he bought them.
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                      I think my dad had them from 1990ish to 95. Not sure, I was born in 1988, so I'd have to ask him about when he bought them.
                      Krill, mine was a very dependable ride

Im a bigger fella, broad shoulders, 6'1" and 265, but if not as big, the p/u would have been perfect.

it sufficed for awhile though
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Eh, may dad is a short arse, 5'6-5'7, whereas I'm 6'5.glad to hear it was a good car, it was a great car to tow a caravan IIRC.

Comment

Eh, may dad is a short arse, 5'6-5'7, whereas I'm 6'5.glad to hear it was a good car, it was a great car to tow a caravan IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                            In high school I would "borrow" my dad's Jeep after my parents went to bed. Being the considerate son I was I would roll it down the hill and bump start it near the bottom when I was a good distance from the house (so as not to disturb their sleep of course).

I used to do that to, from the age of 15 (unlicensed). My friend and I would take the car and cruise around town until 5 am, drinking wine and smoking joints, and wondering why our friends weren't interested in getting out of bed in the early am to join us

Comment

When I was REALLY little, and there were only fiat 126, fiat 126p, "big fiat", even older fiats, wolgas, syrenkas, and warszawas out on the street,
                              this was my favourite car - Dacia.

Later on, Corvette

and a certain ferrari, was it this one?

"I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post

Hilarious, because I did the same exact thing with my mom's car. It wasn't as cool (1980 Datsun 210, Burnt Orange. Yeah, baby!), but it was a car.

That one came out during my Best Man's speech at my wedding. Heh.

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X