Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinnitus thread

–noun Pathology.
    a ringing or similar sensation of sound in the ears.
    I've had tinnitus as long as I can remember. As a kid, I'd hear a ringing when I was alone in a room. It's like a mix between a hum and a buzz sound, and it's stronger in my left ear than my right.

If I click my fingers, the sound goes away. Listening to music will make it go away too. But in silence, I can concentrate and it will swell to fairly loud volume, or if I ignore it, it will fall to a baseline background.

It's never caused me any problems, but I've heard other people who develop it later in life and it causes them problems.

Do you have this? Does anybody you know have it?
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

I hear the ringing of silver trumpets once in a while. My mother used to tell me someone was talking about me.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Occasoinally

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Every once in a while. I think from childhood.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I'm losing my hearing and I have to take aspirin everyday.
          I hear a lot of ringing.

Comment

Both me and che have it. Mainly from listening to music too loud when younger.

I also managed to damage my left eardrum when I was 18 by lighting a pack of blackcats and trying to toss them thru the open door- the fuse was quicker than I thought and they went off midair. My left ear was ringing for 3 days, and I suffered some minor hearing loss.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I used to get it every time I walked into a jeweller's when I was a kid. I think it was all the clock and watch mechanisms.

That doesn't happen anymore - my hearing isn't nearly as sensitive as it once was - but I still occasionally get it, once every few weeks, for just a few seconds.

On a slightly different tack, I used to hear a choir of angels from inside the frequencies of the beach on a windy day every time I ate magic mushrooms

Comment

Ear protection
                I used to do tree work. I lost a bit of my upper hearing range from the times when I forgot or lost mine, and a tiny bit of tinnitus.

When I was young the ultrasonic motion detectors used to feel like a faint pressure. No, I don't no how sound can "feel" like "pressure" but that's the only description I can give. Now when I'm in a quiet place I get the same "feeling" in the frequency range I've lost and a faint whine at the very top of my hearing range.

I can usually ignore it because it is so faint, but I can hear it now as I type.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

AC, has you seen an ENT or an audiologist about this?
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I worked on a flight deck of an aircraft carrier when I was younger, and didn't always wear protection. I still have perfect hearing 20 or so years later. I think some people have a genetic predisposition to hearing problems.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I actually don't think I have tinnitus, though I sorta get what AC's saying. If in a silent situation or alone in a room, I occasionally think I hear something; the more I focus on it, the louder it gets.

I think it's actually more from an overactive imagination; the mind thinks it should be hearing something, and thus creates a "noise" to compensate for the silence.
                      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        Yep, I went specially when I was 19 because I was starting to wonder if it was perfectly normal. They said as long as it wasn't causing me to lose sleep or stress out, it was manageable.

Since it doesn't cause either of those, I've gone back to living with it with no problems. I like to think of it as my guardian angel sitting on my shoulder telling me what to do.

And all I hear is "whisperwhisperwhisperwhisperwhisperwhisper..."
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                          How is a walking tree going to help her?
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
                            And all I hear is "whisperwhisperwhisperwhisperwhisperwhisper..."
                            Maybe you should see a psychiatrist... Or an exorcist.

Comment

Well it's better than what I heard from the guardian angel when I turned 13 and went to a boarding school.

Which was just "blahblahblahblahblahblah..."
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                              X