RIP Dave Arneson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Dave Arneson

The lesser known co-creator of D&D has died of unspecified cancer.

Some have said he single-handedly invented the RPG genre, but I think the contemporary who created Empire of the Petal Throne was an independent inventor of the same moderated character-control play model.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

R. I. P.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

good article, and RIP
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

R.i.p.
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

R. I. P.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

-=Vel=-
            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Both of D&D's inventors died way too young.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I read about this and it made me sad. I don't know why since I haven't played the game in so long but still I have happy memories from my younger years of Saturday afternoons whiled away killing orcs and plundering dragon hordes.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yeah. It's another piece of childhood slipping away forever.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

RIP mate. I hope where ever you have left us lacks board games to keep you busy...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                    X