Historic Achievements in Science #2364

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Achievements in Science #2364

Scientists have shown scratching helps relieve an itch as it blocks activity in some spinal cord nerve cells that transmit the sensation to the brain.

However, the effect only seems to occur during itchiness itself - scratching at other times makes no difference.

While it is widely-known scratching relieves an itch, the physiological mechanisms for how this works are little understood.

The University of Minnesota study appears in Nature Neuroscience.

Previous research has suggested that a specific part of the spinal cord - the spinothalamic tract - plays a key role.

Nerve cells in this area have been shown to be more active when itchy substances are applied to the skin.

Blocks activity

The latest work, in primates, found that scratching the skin blocks activity of nerve cells in the spinothalamic tract during itchiness - preventing the spinal cord from transmitting signals from the scratched area of skin to the brain.

ITCHING
    There are many causes of itch, including more than 50 diseases including shingles, Aids, gallbladder problems and Hodgkin's Disease
    The itch produced by many diseases can greatly affect quality of life and can not be treated currently
    For many types of itch, it is not clear that itch serves any clear purpose

Researcher Dr Glenn Giesler hopes the work could lead to ways to relieve chronic itch effectively for the first time. However, he said more information was still needed about the chemistry underpinning the effect.

Professor Gil Yosipovitch, an expert on itching from Wake Forest University in North Carolina, said the finding was "potentially significant".

He said: "Although there is a long way to go, methods that can induce a pleasurable scratch sensation without damaging the skin, via mechanical stimuli or drugs that can inhibit these neurons, could be developed to treat chronic itch."

However, Professor Yosipovitch stressed that scratching and itching were complex phenomena involving factors such as emotions as well as physiology.

"The main open question is what happens in patients who suffer from chronic itch where scratching may actually aggravate itch perception."

Professor Patrick Haggard, of University College London, said: "We all know that scratching helps alleviate itch, but this elegant study helps to show how this mechanism works.

"It's an interesting illustration of a very general principle of the brain controlling its own inputs, in this case by making movements that triggers an interaction between scratchy touch and itch."

Dr Paul Bays, based at UCL's Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, agreed that the study provided an important part of a physiological explanation for how the sensation of itch is reduced.

"However, it is still unclear why scratching should have this effect, or why it is only effective for itches and not for painful sensations - which are transmitted to the brain through the same pathway."
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Blah

However, it is still unclear why scratching should have this effect, or why it is only effective for itches and not for painful sensations

Errr....actually, scratching does work for pain (at least for me).

When I get a bad cut I will lightly scratch near the wound and it seems to help. Also, when I have a headache I scratch my scalp and that helps enormously.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Have you tried scratching your twitch?
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
          Have you tried scratching your twitch?
          Yes. Didn't work.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            Also, when I have a headache I scratch my scalp and that helps enormously.
            Yeah. I get migraine-like headaches and scratching definitely helps. I always thought I was sort of distracting my brain.
            Last edited by Lorizael; April 8, 2009, 12:47.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
              However, it is still unclear why scratching should have this effect, or why it is only effective for itches and not for painful sensations

Errr....actually, scratching does work for pain (at least for me).

When I get a bad cut I will lightly scratch near the wound and it seems to help. Also, when I have a headache I scratch my scalp and that helps enormously.

Also, causing a very minimal pain in a particular location makes additional pain hurt less. For example, when I inject myself, i pinch the skin firmly where I'm about the stick the needle -- this causes the actual needlestick that follows to hurt less than it otherwise would.
              The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Working...
              X