Muscle spasms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle spasms

I often get them in my right posterior deltoid (rear shoulder muscle).

The muscle twitches for a few seconds at a frequency of perhaps 2-3 times a second. I get this every couple of days, and the spasms happen every few minutes for a period of a few hours. They are not strong enough to move my whole arm, but they are visible through a sweater and are extremely distracting. I believe it's only a single muscle fiber (not sure of the terminology here), i.e. it's not the whole posterior deltoid, just a piece a centimeter or two across. This has been going on for a couple of years now.

I have two questions:

a) WTF is this from? I do notice that it doesn't happen as much when I'm being lazy and don't go to the gym...
    b) How do I prevent this/stop it once it starts?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Potassium deficiency

Eat a Banana

(I laughed when you wrote posterior)
    Monkey!!!

Comment

That occurred to me, but I'd always heard that potassium deficiency led to cramping (which I don't get) rather than spasms.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think I have had this happen to me as well.

Which reminds me, yesterday I was lazy and didn't go to the gym .

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I think it's due to muscle irritability from lifting -- I don't remember the exact biochemical mechanism, but probably something along the lines of the threshold for muscle contraction being lowered due to altered membrane potential due to physiologic effects of exercise (glucose depletion, lactic acidosis, etc).

I get the same thing in my left forearm
          The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Going to the gym to scope babes and drink smoothies doesn't help you lose weight.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Same, I've got it in one of my fingers and occasionaly on the right side of lower back. The latter is esecially annoying as it makes me jerk up if i am lying down.

Comment

Muscle spasms and cramps occur when a muscle contracts involuntarily and painfully. There are a number of causes of muscle spasms, ranging from nutritional deficiency to serious nervous system conditions. If you experience sharp, extremely painful muscle spasms in your neck or back, you should see a physician, as these can be symptoms of a ruptured or bulging disc in your spine. If left untreated, this could have extremely serious consequences.
                The process of moving a muscle is actually quite complex, although you may not be aware of it. It involves sending a signal from the brain through the nervous system to the muscle in question. An ornate series of chemical reactions and communications will ultimately result in a contraction of the muscle, causing it to move. Millions of involuntary muscle movements keep your blood circulating and your lungs moving, even as you sleep. If this process is disrupted, the result can be a muscle spasm.
                On the brain's end of the deal, muscle spasms can be caused by neurological disorders or conditions such as strokes. Damage to the nervous system may also cause muscle spasms; many toxins, for example, attack the nervous system. Metabolic disorders can also be responsible for muscle spasms, by disrupting the metabolic communications which cause muscles to contract. In all of these cases, medical attention may be required to resolve the situation.
                A deficiency in salts and electrolytes can also be responsible for muscle spasms. Dehydration is a common cause for deficiency, and more rarely you can disturb the balance of salts in your body through water intoxication. It is also possible to eat a diet which does not satisfy the needs of your body, especially if you exercise heavily, thus depleting the salts you need to control your muscles. Exercise can also contribute to muscle spasms if you work out too hard, thereby exhausting your muscles.
                Spasming muscles may feel tight and bulgy. They can also be extraordinarily painful, and the onset is generally rapid and unexpected. If you are lucky, your spasming muscle is merely a cramp, and you may be able to stretch the muscle to relieve the problem. In other instances, a spasming muscle becomes locked, and you may face a lengthy recovery. You can help reduce the likelihood of muscle spasms by stretching, eating a healthy diet, and paying close attention to your general health and fitness levels.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Except that he's clearly not describing a muscle spasm (despite using that term).

Muscle spasm = charlie horse = dehydration/electrolyte depletion
                  KH twitch = not a muscle spasm
                  The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Thank you, Doctor Tuber.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyMartini View Post
                      Muscle spasm = charlie horse = dehydration/electrolyte depletion
                      KH twitch = not a muscle spasm
                      Ah. Thanks for the clarification on terminology.

So yeah, these are twitches. They are not very severe, they are jerky (spasmodic, hence my use of the term "spasm"), they are not at all painful, each individual movement is of short duration.

The only reason this is an issue is when I'm trying to concentrate on something this tends to distract me.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Martini, do you have any suggested solutions for twitches (as opposed to spasms, and other than not exercising)?
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Nothing to worry about. It's just your alien overlords downloading instructions.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I was told by the first physician I saw for those kind of "muscle twitches" (around 1980) that they are a response to extreme fatigue.

I most often get them in my legs, but I've had em everywhere. They dont seem to be debilitating and the easiest "treatment" is rest, although I've continued to work out while they've gone on for days. The first occurance in my quadriceps stopped after several days of twitching while drinking sangria in an outside cafe in Ottowa.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Well, I'm in my first couple of weeks back in the gym after a 2 month lazy period. Hopefully it won't happen as much once I fully readjust.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X