X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand of God found in Space

Cosmic Hand Reaches for the Light

space.com – Sat Apr 4, 8:17 pm ET

Tiny and dying but still-powerful stars called pulsars spin like crazy and light up their surroundings, often with ghostly glows. So it is with PSR B1509-58, which long ago collapsed into a sphere just 12 miles in diameter after running out of fuel.

And what a strange scene this one has created.

In a new image from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, high-energy X-rays emanating from the nebula around PSR B1509-58 have been colored blue to reveal a structure resembling a hand reaching for some eternal red cosmic light.

The star now spins around at the dizzying pace of seven times every second -- as pulsars do -- spewing energy into space that creates the scene.

Strong magnetic fields, 15 trillion times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field, are thought to be involved, too. The combination drives an energetic wind of electrons and ions away from the dying star. As the electrons move through the magnetized nebula, they radiate away their energy as X-rays.

The red light actually a neighboring gas cloud, RCW 89, energized into glowing by the fingers of the PSR B1509-58 nebula, astronomers believe.

The scene, which spans 150 light-years, is about 17,000 light years away, so what we see now is how it actually looked 17,000 years ago, and that light is just arriving here.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

It took me a moment to see it. It's the blue, not the red-orange. A right hand. The blue furthermost to our right is the thumb.

I can't help but think that, if it were the true hand of God, He'd be flipping us the New Jersey state bird.

Comment

Armaggeden, finally. Everyone living in Taiwan should arm themselves first and get top priority to head to the shelters for their testosterone shots. Resisting what's about to come is futile, but as the Chinese missiles begin raining down on you, your valiant efforts could buy Western women more time to hide their children and save them for when the dust settles. I think the best places to hide will be in the White House Bunker or Area 51, and I'll be headed to the former since there's hotter women there. See you all on the other side.

Comment

That's not armageddon. God is about to give that gas cloud a high five.

"Hey man, is that a new protoplanetary disk I see there? High five!"

Either that or god is smoking a massive blunt.

Comment

It's photoshopped.

And I think I see a little rabbit to the right. Just below Paul McCartney's garden gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston View Post
            And I think I see a little rabbit to the right. Just below Paul McCartney's garden gnome.
            I grew up in the 60's. What's your excuse?

Comment

What color was the picture originally?
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

black and white
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Seems like the blue hand want to take the red cloudy-beer.
                  bleh

Comment

You're a true Canadian, CrONoS.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It looks like God has 2 thumbs on that hand... if it's thumbs that helps separate us from the dumb animals... makes sense that God would have more.

Comment

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

That can't be true. Obama had all his two hands when I saw him recently on tv.
                          Blah

Comment

And don't forget his ears. He's a very good listener, you know.

Comment

"I cast Magic Missile... AT THE DARKNESS!" hah hah hah hah
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                              X