Prespective Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prespective Technology

I want to discuss the technical side of this.

Notice in 3d FPS's, the perspective is not realistic. What is actually causing this and how do we fix it on a monitor device (not vr headset).

Is it the size of the screen? Shape of the screen? Resolution? What? Or is it just not possible without goggles or some sort of virtual room?

Edit: I spelt perspective wrong. Used phone to create thread. I'm stuck in cervical cancer talk
    Last edited by FrostyBoy; April 4, 2009, 04:07.
    be free

I can't tell if this is a joke. Asher?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
      I can't tell if this is a joke. Asher?
      Having trouble comprehending again?
      be free

Comment

Yes, you have a very odd way of describing things. From what it looks like, you are stating something very obvious and adding nothing of value to what is already known. Hence, is this a joke?

Also, it's hard to tell what will and will not offend you.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Pretentious. Is that the word I'm looking for here? Or pertentious?
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I don't think it's a joke; as a former professor on a visual arts faculty, I actually think it's a pretty interesting question, though I'm not tech-savvy enough to have an answer.

Of course, I can't think of any 2d image, in any medium, that has truly given me the illusion of 3d. Probably the closest, though, is Jacques-Louis David's painting "The Coronation of Napoleon." It's an enormous painting (roughly 20 feet high x 36 feet wide) and the Louvre has mounted it so that it's nearly flush with the ground, giving you the strong sense that you could step right into the scene. So maybe you're on to something with size of the screen.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The altar in this church in Torino is painted on the wall.
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

There's also a wood carved relief in a church in Firenze? Rome? Vatican? That uses perspective to make the flat ceiling look domed.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Interesting. Though in both those cases, I'd imagine the illusion is enhanced by distance from the image, which wouldn't really help with FPS design.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Painting has long ago solved the problem of 3D illusion. In order to make something appear as realistic as that picture in a 3D digital and interactive environment, it would take a huge about of memory to store and process. A casual look at the evolution of video games over the last few decades answers this thread's question succinctly.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
                      Interesting. Though in both those cases, I'd imagine the illusion is enhanced by distance from the image, which wouldn't really help with FPS design.
                      I the case I cited you have to see it from a certain angle.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Biggest problem for me with FPSs is peripheral vision, or rather lack thereof. That's not fixable without a full-immersion experience (ie, a room) or goggles (and even those limit your peripheral vision rather much, but at least you could turn your head).
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Here!

Problem solved.

Unfortunately this works for one person only.
                          Quendelie axan!

Comment

Working...
                          X