Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about the European Space agency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about the European Space agency?

Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Honestly? I think ESA basically has all the downsides of NASA -- a politically-driven jobs program for engineers that does its best to stifle innovation -- except that it wastes less because it spends less due to unambitious goals.

ESA does have one thing going for it, though. Europe doesn't have a ton of engineers who worked on the space boondoggles of yesteryear and who are just biding their time in their current jobs until their pensions kick in.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I don't understand why there isn't an international space agency who are responsible for launching all countries' satellites and maintaining the international space station. That way North Korea wouldn't need to launch rockets.

Or do all countries secretly believe they're playing Civ, and are have given up on a conquest victory?

Comment

I can't figure out how they could possibly be less effective than NASA, but they are. Accomplishment
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york View Post
          Or do all countries secretly believe they're playing Civ, and are have given up on a conquest victory?
          I sure hope so.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I lump them in with the same group as Winnie the Pooh.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Generally agree with DanS, ESA doesn't piss away as much money on manned space flight trying to live up to inflated nationalistic goals *Cough USA, Russia, China Cough* and is instead happy to do real research in unmanned probes.
                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Kill them all. Take them and toss in Darkcloud on top of the fire.

Comment

Cool space pics and anims
                    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                      I can't figure out how they could possibly be less effective than NASA, but they are. Accomplishment

Why do you think that?
                      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Is this not the agency trying to reinvent GPS for, well, no reason whatsoever?
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                        X