Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How effective are you on your 14th hour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How effective are you on your 14th hour?

Simple enough question, when you have been working for 14 hours, just how effective are you? I just finished a 15 hour day (of which I will get paid for 7) and honestly, not much was going on that last one.
    Last edited by GePap; March 31, 2009, 23:43.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

If I only got Paid for 7, the last 8 would have ineffective.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I got way too muych **** to do to waste 8 hours - 3 maybe, not eight....
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Depends on what I'm doing. If it's code, with a regular supply of caffeine I can keep going for a few days. (Longest continuous session was ~30 hours).

Comment

14 hour days are long, but not particularly unusual.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I put in over 20 last thursday. I should have quit at 2 am or so... but that was at least partially a case of it being late and me being tired.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You do what needs to be done. If it takes that long, so be it. I'll start to lose it after about 24 hours or so, but can go longer if the need is great. Otherwise, I might as well give up after a day.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm effective for about 2 hours, then I start to dose off...
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I worked 30 straight hours in the navy once.

In civilian life I don't think I've ever worked past 17. As long as I have breaks, I have no problem pulling doubles. But it's not something I'd want to do more than 1 day in a row.

Comment

I once pulled a 20 in the QC lab, but now that I work in a plant, I'm limited to 12; that's fine, because it's a very physical job and most people are hurting by hour 12.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

My record is about 40hrs consecutive work (or rather at work, several hours were spent in a vegetative state attempting to proof read a large report). I'd say it depends on the subject matter, but 14hours is fairly innocuous if you are used to it.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

30 hours before I was forced to go to sleep. I find I get more dedicated as I go on, but am much less effective.`
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Meh.

Not very, and you folks are mostly insane, I think.

Having worked my share of 100+ hour weeks, I'm happy to say that I will NEVER do it again.

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap View Post
                            Simple enough question, when you have been working for 14 hours, just how effective are you? I just finished a 15 hour day (of which I will get paid for 7) and honestly, not much was going on that last one.
                            Strangely I'm at my most wired (even downright manic) in the two hours before I should be going to bed and the four hours after which I should have gone to bed (i.e. hours 14-20), which rains hell on my sleep schedule. It's like I'm from a planet with a 30-hour day or something.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Hours 14 to 20 is go time, especially since it's quiet during this period. After hour 20, my function decreases quickly.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X