Unit 731

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit 731

I've been watching a documentary on Japan's WW2 era research into biological and chemical warfare material and I must say Japan committed some horrible atrocities. The focal point of Japan's research was the Japanese Imperial Army Unit 731 based in Manchuria which often used live test subjects, vivisection, and Chinese peasants as research material. The tale is public domain and available free on the internet via Google video.

Unit 731 was a covert biological and chemical warfare research and development unit of the Imperial Japanese Army that undertook lethal human experimentation during the Second Sino-Japanese War (1937–1945) and World War II.

It was responsible for some of the most notorious war crimes carried out by Japanese personnel. Officially known by the Imperial Japanese Army as the Kempeitai Political Department and Epidemic Prevention Research Laboratory, it was initially set up under the Kempeitai military police of the Empire of Japan to develop weapons of mass destruction for potential use against Chinese, and possibly Soviet forces.

Unit 731 was based in the Pingfang district of the city of Harbin in the puppet state of Manchukuo.
    Shiro Ishii, commander of Unit 731

More than ten thousand people, from which around 600 every year were provided by the kempeitai, were subjects of the experimentation conducted by Unit 731. These were both civilian and military of Chinese, Korean, Mongolian, and Russian origin as well as some Japanese criminals from the Japanese mainlands. Some American and European Allied prisoners of war also died at the hands of Unit 731.

In addition, the use of biological weapons researched in Unit 731s bioweapons and chemical weapons programs resulted in tens of thousands of military and civilian deaths in China – possibly as many as 200,000 casualties by some estimates.

Unit 731 was the headquarters of many subsidiary units used by the Japanese to research biological warfare; other units included Unit 516 (Qiqihar), Unit 543 (Hailar), Unit 773 (Songo unit), Unit 100 (Changchun), Unit Ei 1644 (Nanjing), Unit 1855 (Beijing), Unit 8604 (Guangzhou), Unit 200 (Manchuria) and Unit 9420 (Singapore).

Many of the scientists involved in Unit 731 went on to prominent careers in post-war politics, academia, business, and medicine. Some were arrested by Soviet forces and tried at the Khabarovsk War Crime Trials; others, who surrendered to the Americans, were granted amnesty in exchange for access to the data collected by them.

On 6 May 1947, Douglas MacArthur, as Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces, wrote to Washington that additional data, possibly some statements from Ishii probably can be obtained by informing Japanese involved that information will be retained in intelligence channels and will not be employed as War Crimes evidence. The deal was concluded in 1948.

Because of their brutality, Unit 731s actions have now been declared by the United Nations to have been crimes against humanity.
    This is a link top part 1 of 5 of the documentary and all five parts are free over the internet.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Much like post Nazi Germany the post war Japanese scientific and government establishment was honeycombed with war criminals who had committed crimes against humanity but they were all granted immunity by the United States in exchange for Japan's data on the human experimentation of chemical and biological weapons.

Comment

BTW the CCP is filled with bastards. I have watched several Chinese WW2 films and they all try to pretend that Mao was the great hero when in fact the Nationalists cared the great bulk of the fight. Fighting the Japanese day and night while the CCP waited and did nothing.

Comment

a) the nationalists were supported by the US - the communists much less so, i´d guess.

b) ´Fighting the japanese day and night´ takes it a little far. In many areas for extended periods of time, local ´arrangements´ were made between the local chinese warlords and the japanese occupation, which boiled down to local armistices (there is, for example, no great chinese offensive, worth to be mentioned - if Japan did not choose to take the initiative in China, the war there ´fell asleep´). It is, of course, true that the Kuomintang carried the majority of the chinese fight, but it also was the dominant faction within the chinese camp. That is also the reason, why the communists didnt want to get too embroiled in the war. It was an open secret, that once the japanese would have expelled, the civil war was to continue. Since the reds entered the ceasefire with the Kuo rather behind in points, they had to try to improve their position relative to the Kuo, while the struggle with Japan was still going on. The soviet DOW on Japan at the very last minute, coupled with their invasion of manchuria did wonders for them in that aspect.

c) It was common practice after WW2, that the allies convicted those guilty of atrocities, but rehabitilated those who had some use for them (von Braun, Krupp...) rather sooner than later.

d) China was to Japan, what the USSR was to Germany (i actually read this statement vice versa somewhere - though i think it was about WWI by Stokesbury - having a war with China seems to be a proverb in english, meaning it is unwinnable despite ongoing success, because of the sheer numbers of the enemy) - both wars were ´extermination-wars´ aiming at the total takeover of the conquered land by its population and total subjugation/dislocation/extermination of the original population. The resemblences thus are not surprising.

Comment

Actually we supplied the communists in China as well as the Nationalists. Henry Wallace, IIRC, even met with the ChiComs when he went to China in 1944.
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

But the word ´even´ put before the word ´met´ demonstrates neatly, that a difference was made.

Comment

The Nationalist Chinese did carry most of the WW II fighting. Unfortunately, after the war, they grew so corrupt, the Chinese Communists looked good by comparison.

Comment

Working...
              X