Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heard on the street (11th ed)

Got it yesterday. Ran through much/most of it. My impressions:

1) The Quantitative/Analytic section is pretty easy. I wasn't really able to do ~3 of the problems (out of 45 or so)

2) Statistics & Probability even easier. I don't know if I missed any of these

3) I have some work to do in derivatives and "Other Financial Economics". I was able to do maybe half to 2/3 of these. I'm pretty good at all the bond stuff. I don't know "the greeks" very well. I should know BS form. like the back of my hand, especially under certain simplifying assumptions/approximations. Need to memorize names of different option plays, some other types of terminology.

4) Need to craft answers for "getting to know you" questions.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Though I'm probably already at a much higher level on the finance stuff than they want/expect from an entry-level non-finance PhD applicant.
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
      4) Need to craft answers for "getting to know you" questions.
      I'm guessing that the answer to "what's the best party you've ever been to" should not be the truth, i.e. a grad student Hallowe'en party my first year here where I had ~30 drinks, passed out on the curb and flipped off some undergrads I was TAing who happened to walk by.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Don't sell out, man. Physics needs you. At $50k a year.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

**** physics. I'm burning my bridges next week. Telling my advisor that I'm not applying for postdocs and that he should graduate me ASAP.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What's the impetus?
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I look forward to reading about how you gave your advisor a heart attack/epileptic fit next week then
              Last edited by Krill; March 31, 2009, 12:24.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Oh, sorry got the wrong idea about the thread title...

Yesterday in a large store I overheard: "Wow this place is so big it's got its own planetary dimension"

Which I thought was relatively impressive for a pair of 40ish chavvy women...
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                  What's the impetus?
                  Finishing a paper. Good time to talk to him. Bring him good news and bad news at same time.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think he means, why are you burning your bridges?
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Rather, why not continue with physics? Tired of the subject? Burned out? Don't like the politics?

Comment

He's seen the formulas. He's knows we don't have much longer left. Might as well enjoy it.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It's like insider trading, but in universes...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I think some of it is the same reason why I left theory a few years ago.

JM
                            (Note that he is better at it than me, and was more successful than I was. But the other reason was that it will be a while (possibly a long time) until real advances can be made in theory because it is so far ahead of experiment. Basically, he thinks that LHC will see something expected and so the theorists will continue just working with theories which have no opportunity to be verified/etc.)
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                              Rather, why not continue with physics? Tired of the subject? Burned out? Don't like the politics?
                              Physics is hard, doesn't pay well and is no fun any more.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X