Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for recreational swimmers: Total Immersion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for recreational swimmers: Total Immersion?

So I'm back in the pool again and a friend recommended the Total Immersion swimming program. A link: http://www.totalimmersion.net/

I looked through the website and the wiki page but I still don't know how reputable it is. Has anybody here tried it? Is it fact or fad?

Edit: Dunno if this should go in the Sports subforum. If the mods think it should, please move it there. Thanks!
    Last edited by Alinestra Covelia; March 26, 2009, 09:27.
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

I'd say bull****.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I have to agree with Sloww.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Your inability to figure out something as basic as swimming on your own is an even bigger indictment of your intelligence than your posts here.

Comment

She swims. The question, as I understood it, was if there is a method or way of training to swimming that doesn't exhaust the swimmer.
          Is that essentially correct, Ali?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

More or less, yep. I'm not much of a swimmer, but I've gotten to the point where I can do maybe 10 or 12 lengths consecutively without having to break to catch my breath. I turn my head to take breaths at every third stroke (so I'm turning between both sides, not just to one side).

I'm trying to perfect the roll-kick at the end of every length. This makes me a lot faster, but the maneuver itself is tiring and it's an extra long phase without a breath. I tried to go as long as I could without a break, roll-kicking at the end of each length. I lasted about 4 or 5 lengths.

My roommate started swimming for exercise at about the same time as I did, and he swims slower but takes far fewer breaks than I do. This is almost the exact opposite of what I would have expected. I'd have expected his male muscle build to allow him to swim considerably faster, and my female endurance (already built up through biking) to keep me going for longer.

I guess one confounding factor could be that I'm doing anaerobic exercise, which is quite different than what I'm used to.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I think conditioning is the only true way. This video even speaks of not having the rest that a turn kick provides. No matter the conditioning, people are people. A person won't exercise without ever tiring, which their video seems to suggest. I don't think one can ignore icy water either, which their video also seems to suggest.

Comment

dp
                Last edited by SlowwHand; March 26, 2009, 23:29.

Comment

Working...
                X