What's the usual punishment for negligent homicide in your country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the usual punishment for negligent homicide in your country

It's either up to five years jail or paying money here.

Thing is, we have a prominent politician found guilty of that recently. The guy is named Dieter Althaus, he killed a Slovak woman in a skiing accident, but got away with paying money.

He's prime minister of the federal state of Thuringia and they have new elections coming soon. He was injured heavily in the accident as well, and spent some time in hospital, but found enough time to sell the event as a touching story in the yellow press.
    Blah

Negligent execution.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

2-10 years? Depends on the state, IIUC.

Edit: Here's a lady who got 10.5 years after laughing about the bicyclist's death that she caused while DUI. Apparently, in Arizona the range is 4-11.5 years for negligent homicide while DUI.

During the conversation, the man told Arrington that an acquaintance believed she should get a medal and a parade because she had "taken out" a "tree hugger, a bicyclist, a Frenchman and a gay guy all in one shot."

Arrington laughed. When the man said he knew it was a terrible thing to say, she responded, "No, it's not."
      Last edited by DanS; March 25, 2009, 13:12.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Here's a guy who got 40 years, with 20 years suspended (a net 20 years) for negligent homicide in Montana. He hit a guy in the head and the guy ended up dying.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

So inconvenient when the guy you hit in the head dies. Also usually second degree murder. Couse the perp can always claim it was an accident.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

2-5 years, assuming no substance abuse, nor firearms at the location.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We elect them Senator.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

"a bicyclist"

This is why we need more safe bike paths.
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
                  We elect them Senator.
                  Oof.

Comment

Or Governor.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                    X