Amazon.com is worse than heroin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon.com is worse than heroin.

The delivery by UPS is oh so expensive, but I just can't stop myself. Look at my latest order:
    The Design of Everyday by Donald A. Norman
    The Rise of the West: A History of the Human Community by William McNeill
    A History of Warfare by John Keegan
    Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger
    The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
    The Perry Bible Fellowship Almanack by Nicholas Gurewitch

I just wanted to buy that last book in this list, but practically had to pad my order with the other five to justify the delivery costs. Don't regret it at all, of course. Maybe that's because you don't have to handle the actual money when paying by debit card.

Tell me doing this six times a year is acceptable.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Only if you don't have good, locally-owned independent bookstores near you.

Since moving two blocks away from Kramerbooks -- not just a well-stocked independent bookstore, but the only bookstore I know of that also has a bar (Sierra Nevada's on tap and they make one hell of a Manhattan) -- I haven't ordered anything from Amazon.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post

Since moving two blocks away from Kramerbooks -- not just a well-stocked independent bookstore, but the only bookstore I know of that also has a bar (Sierra Nevada's on tap and they make one hell of a Manhattan) -- I haven't ordered anything from Amazon.
      There are no good, locally-owned bookstores in Moscow that sell books in English that I need. If they have books in English, it's either Dickens or some ****ing Dan Brown or Harry Potter.

Comment

Yeah, I figured. I just wanted to plug Kramerbooks.

Just out of curiosity, why do you order from Amazon.com instead of Amazon.co.uk? I would have thought that intra-European shipping would be cheaper than shipping from teh US.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Rufus, you live near Dupont Circle? Is there something you want to tell us about yourself?

Onodera, all of that would be acceptable if you hadn't ordered a Henry Kissinger book. Money for war criminals is
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Diplomacy is a great book.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Every thousand purchases of Diplomacy---->the purchase of another incendiary bomb to be dropped on Cambodia. I repeat,
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yeah, I figured. I just wanted to plug Kramerbooks.

Just out of curiosity, why do you order from Amazon.com instead of Amazon.co.uk? I would have thought that intra-European shipping would be cheaper than shipping from teh US.
                Intra-European shipping is much cheaper, and the books in both .co.uk and .de cost the same. Except they the price is in pounds or euros. So for the same amount of money I can either order the books from a European Amazon and have it delivered by drunken postmen two weeks later, or order them from the US and get them delivered by a UPS courier in 3 days.

Comment

Amazon.com is like heroin

But I've found something even more addicting, clothes shopping (the shame! But I need it all since I lost 40 lbs in the last 2 years!!)
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                    Amazon.com is like heroin

But I've found something even more addicting, clothes shopping (the shame! But I need it all since I lost 40 lbs in the last 2 years!!)
                    You are so in touch with your feminine side it's practically incest!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      Rufus, you live near Dupont Circle? Is there something you want to tell us about yourself?
                      Yep, I live near DuPont Circle -- with my wife. We also regard Key West and Amsterdam as two of our favorite vacation destinations. In addition, I dress well and love musicals and the album Judy at Carnegie Hall, while having absolutely no interest in sports. On the other hand, I also love poker, steak, bourbon, and the music of Frank Sinatra while having no interest in fashion or any form of dancing other than the jitterbug.

If you can sort it all out, get back to me, will ya?

Comment

Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger is a great book.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Drinking and books is a match made in heaven.

Comment

Amazon.com is worse than heroin

So true. I can actually get value from investing in heroin.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I only spent around $60 on Amazon.com this month.
                              Last edited by Dinner; March 21, 2009, 20:01.

Comment

Working...
                              X