• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serb Trolls Asher

March 19, 2009
    Russia to Ban Hunting of Baby Seals
    By A.G. SULZBERGER
    Russia announced on Wednesday that it would ban the hunting of baby seals, effectively shutting one of the world’s largest hunting grounds in the controversial trade in seal fur.

The decision is yet another blow to an age-old industry that has been losing a public relations battle in recent years to animal-rights groups, who have gained public support by using stark photographs of harp seal pups less than a month old being clubbed to death on blood-stained ice flows.

In addition, the European Union is considering a ban of all seal products — similar to one that the United States adopted decades ago — which would eliminate a key trade route and end market for the furs. And even in Canada, where the world’s largest seal hunt is scheduled to begin later this month and top leaders vigorously defend the industry, a legislator for the first time introduced a proposal to curtail sealing.

“It’s highly significant,” Rebecca Aldworth, director of Humane Society International in Canada, said of the political developments. “It shows that world opinion is moving away from commercial seal hunting. There’s hope on the horizon that this may be the last year that we ever have to witness this cruelty.”

In Russia, where the number of new pups has dropped sharply in recent years because of the hunts as well as shrinking ice in the White Sea, the government initially announced a ban on the killing of the very youngest and most highly prized seals, known as “whitecoats.” The seals shed the white fur in about two weeks, with the resulting silver coat also coveted.

But the government announced in unsparing language that it intended to extend the ban to include all seals less than a year old. (While adult seals are also hunted in smaller quantities, their coarse, scarred fur is generally not used in clothing.) The move, publicly backed by Prime Minister Vladimir V. Putin and coming just weeks before the hunting season was to begin, could save as many as 35,000 seals, according to a spokesman for the International Fund for Animal Welfare.

The Associated Press quoted the natural resources minister, Yuri Trutnev, as saying in a statement: “The bloody sight of the hunting of seals, the slaughter of these defenseless animals, which you cannot even call a real hunt, is banned in our country, just as well as in most developed countries, and this is a serious step to protect the biodiversity of the Russian Federation.”

Masha Vorontsova, the head of the International Fund for Animal Welfare in Russia and a biologist who has been pushing for a ban since the fall of the Soviet Union, credited an outpouring of public support for ending the hunt. “It’s a fantastic achievement,” she said.

In contrast, Gail Shea, Canada’s Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, did little to disguise her frustration at moves taking aim at the industry both abroad and at home, which she attributed to “mistruths and propaganda” spread by special interest groups.

“For some reason the European Union will not recognize what the actual facts are because it’s an emotional issue and a political issue,” she said in an interview.

Ms. Shea, who earlier flew to Europe to lobby against a European Union ban, warned that such a move could violate international trade law. An industry spokesman said that nearly all Canadian seal products passed through Europe on their way to major consumers like Norway, Russia and China. It is unclear whether Russia will also ban the import and sale of seal products.

Commercial sealing also takes place in a handful of other counties, including Norway, Greenland and Namibia.

In Canada, last year’s catch of 207,000 seals — or roughly one in every five pups born that year — earned the roughly 6,000 licensed sealers a total of $7 million, down from $33 million in 2006, according to Phil Jenkins, a spokesman for the Canadian fisheries department. The hunting decreased, he said, largely because of a sharp drop in prices for the pelts, from $97 to $33, for a perfect specimen. Seals are killed by rifle or by club.

The harp seal population level has held steady at about 5.6 million for the last decade, he said, but anti-sealing groups contest that figure.

However, the Canadian industry came under rare official scrutiny last week, when Mac Harb, a senator from Ontario, introduced the legislation to cancel the coming hunt. He argued that the industry was dying, propped up by public tax dollars and costing Canada international good will. But his proposal died when Mr. Harb could not get another member to second his motion.

“There was silence. Total silence!” he said in a telephone interview on Wednesday. “I was amazed that not one of my colleagues, from any one of the political parties, would even want to debate the issue.”
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Good. Less competition.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

$7 million for 207,000 carcasses?! These people need to get real jobs.

Of course you know that with fish stocks declining, having a boom in seal pops and pups would probably collapse some fisheries. Just sayin'.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Hunting baby seals is already illegal in Canada.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's not nice to post her picture.
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

Did I?
            I even have not heard about this ban.
            Anyway it's a good thing. Like it or not, in recent years Russia has achieved some serious success in protecting its wildlife. I'm not kidding. There were some real actions and an entirely new approach to the enviromental issues. You can make fun out of Putin saving a shooting crew by disabling an Amur tiger with a dart. But the fact is that before he took the office nobody really cared about those tigers. And it was only governmental programm what saved them from the total extinction.

As for the seals. I had a fur hat made out of "whitecoat" ten or so years ago. The "whitecoat" or "белёк" (as we call it on Russian) is a superb fur. Basically it's a baby seal.
            But when I saw a tv-show about the hunting on baby seals, how the mother seal protects its baby and how cruel and bloody this hunt is - I was ashamed.
            Trust me that was a heart-breaking sceene. Not a single wild animal deserves its babies to be slaughtered like that for the needs of human fashion and the same bullsh!t concepts.
            So, I switched to domestically grown and mass-produced fur animals like minks.
            Who cares about those concentration camps for minks anyway? It's not a death factory, but a profitable business, like chicken, pork or beef slaughters or any other alike holocaust facilities.
            Last edited by Serb; March 27, 2009, 17:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
              Hunting baby seals is already illegal in Canada.
              Thanks for your input.

Btw, I like your new avatar. On that photo: are you the old fat fart with big tits or the half-nacked biatch with a smaller ones?

Comment

Serb!
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yeah, I'm glad to see you too

Comment

Serb is my favourite Russian. He speaks English.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Serb View Post
                      Thanks for your input.

Btw, I like your new avatar. On that photo: are you the old fat fart with big tits or the half-nacked biatch with a smaller ones?
                      Jabba the Rush thanks you for you input.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

WB Serb! How's the crysis treating you?
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Indeed, Serb's english improved a lot since his first visit here...
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson View Post
                            Indeed, Serb's english improved a lot since his first visit here...
                            Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I think so, but where are we going to find a Raggedy Anne costume and three tons of crushed pineapple at this hour?
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X