American journalism--how to fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GePap View Post
    At best, one can claim that Stewarts is now also a critic, beyond being an entertainer.
    Codswallop. If Cramer's a financial expert who happens to entertain, then Stewart's a journalist who happens to entertain; after all, minute for minute his show contains exactly as much actual news as do the national network broadcasts of CBS, NBC, and ABC (and yes, there's data to back up that statement -- From FAIR, iirc -- and no, can't be bothered to post a link to it). But Stewart's honest enough to call himself an entertainer, which is more than you can say for Cramer, or Tucker Carlson for that matter.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Words change. People in a society decide on their meaning. We, as Americans, have decided that journalism or news includes entertainment.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Link edited by Ming...

Sorry Zkribbler... while that was a great link to a site that features naked women providing the news, I'm afraid it's not allowed here.

But great site
        Last edited by Ming; March 14, 2009, 18:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
          Codswallop. If Cramer's a financial expert who happens to entertain, then Stewart's a journalist who happens to entertain; after all, minute for minute his show contains exactly as much actual news as do the national network broadcasts of CBS, NBC, and ABC (and yes, there's data to back up that statement -- From FAIR, iirc -- and no, can't be bothered to post a link to it). But Stewart's honest enough to call himself an entertainer, which is more than you can say for Cramer, or Tucker Carlson for that matter.
          That the Daily Show contains more news than most news outlets out there is not proof that Sterwat is a journalist - it is proof that most people who calim to be journalists aren't.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            Words change. People in a society decide on their meaning. We, as Americans, have decided that journalism or news includes entertainment.
            Right, that is why people on CNN on Fox would galdly accept you calling them entertainers -wait, No they wouldn't. And I would gladly bet that most people who watch CNN or Fox would state that they are watching news, not entertainment (which is what reality television and scripted shows are for).

Comment

That the Daily Show contains more news than most news outlets out there is not proof that Sterwat is a journalist - it is proof that most people who calim to be journalists aren't.
              Does this remind anyone else of the "all the Christians who oppressed people throughout history weren't really Christians" argument from another thread?
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Right, that is why people on CNN on Fox would galdly accept you calling them entertainers -wait, No they wouldn't. And I would gladly bet that most people who watch CNN or Fox would state that they are watching news, not entertainment (which is what reality television and scripted shows are for).
                Of course you don't get it. They aren't entertainers. The definition of the word "news" is the one that has changed.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by rufus t. Firefly View Post
                  does this remind anyone else of the "all the christians who oppressed people throughout history weren't really christians" argument from another thread?

I approve of comparing GePap to Christian apologists .

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
                    Does this remind anyone else of the "all the Christians who oppressed people throughout history weren't really Christians" argument from another thread?

That isn't even remotely close to a good counter-arguement.

A Muslim who behaves in more Christian ways than most Christian doesn't become a Chrsitian because of it.

Stewart has never made any statements claiming to be a jorunalist, but if one is to make a living satirising and criticising modern American journalism, you have to use journalism to show why your criticism is valid. If Stewart didn't use journalism, his critique of it would ring hollow and would fail.

Comment

Of course you don't get it. They aren't entertainers. The definition of the word "news" is the one that has changed.

Really? When did the memo go out, cause I didn't see it.

Comment

I could quote my "have you watched the 'news' in the last 10 years" post again.

Comment

I could quote my "have you watched the 'news' in the last 10 years" post again.
                          you would just be reposting the same wrong argument.

Comment

Go ahead, keep calling Christian crusaders "not real Christians"

Comment

I have to agree with Gepap. Mostly because his opponents long gave up their points for ad hominem and semantics.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The point is that, regardless of the label that's applied, the mixture of journalism (by the 'old' definition) and entertainment is a problem because people cannot distinguish between the two. Yes, it's a problem with the audience...but that doesn't absolve the content producers from their social responsibility to provide solid information and act as a check on other powers. Saying that it's all just providing what people want to see is a copout...a true one, but a copout nonetheless.
                                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Working...
                                X