Tensions between the US and Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tensions between the US and Russia

What, you didn't think this was a copycat, did you?

Report: Russia may base bombers in Cuba
    Venezuela also temporarily offers island site as Moscow eyes Caribbean
    The Associated Press
    updated 7:19 a.m. ET, Sat., March. 14, 2009

MOSCOW - Russian strategic bombers may be based in Cuba in the future, a Russian Air Force chief told Interfax news agency on Saturday.

Maj. Gen. Anatoly Zhikharev, chief of staff of Russia's long-range aviation, said Cuba had air bases with four or five suitable runways.

Interfax reported that he said Cuba could be used to base Russian bombers if the two countries "display a political will", adding "we are ready to fly there."

Zhikharev also said that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has offered an island as a temporary base for Russian planes.

Zhikharev said Chavez had offered "a whole island with an airdrome, which we can use as a temporary base for strategic bombers," the agency reported. "If there is a corresponding political decision, then the use of the island ... by the Russian Air Force is possible."

Two Russian bombers landed in Venezuela last year in what experts said was the first Western Hemisphere touchdown of Russian military craft since the end of the Cold War.

Cuba has never permanently hosted Russian or Soviet strategic aircraft. But Soviet short-range bombers often made stopovers there during the Cold War.

Russia resumed long-range bomber patrols in 2007 after a 15-year hiatus.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

i guess they're mad at being 'overcharged'
    :-p

Comment

Now James Bond movies don't have to suck anymore, go Russia

Comment

Whatever happened to the rumor that the Duma was going to change the Presidential term limit law and then Medvedev was going to step down and let Putnin resume the Presidency for 12 more years? Maybe not every rumor about Russia is true?
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Real strategic bombers? Thought those went out with the 1950s. We have ICBMs nowadays.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
            Whatever happened to the rumor that the Duma was going to change the Presidential term limit law and then Medvedev was going to step down and let Putnin resume the Presidency for 12 more years? Maybe not every rumor about Russia is true?
            That's a stupid rumour. There's a limit of two CONSECUTIVE terms. There's no need for the Duma to do anything.
            Oh, wait, 12 years. Right, I have no idea what has happened to the length of a single term.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
              That's a stupid rumour. There's a limit of two CONSECUTIVE terms. There's no need for the Duma to do anything.
              Oh, wait, 12 years. Right, I have no idea what has happened to the length of a single term.

The second part of the rumor was that terms would be lengthened to 6 years.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                The second part of the rumor was that terms would be lengthened to 6 years.
                Actually, it's not a rumour, it's already a fact.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha View Post
                  Now James Bond movies don't have to suck anymore, go Russia
                  Haven't you seen the latest movies? Putin is James Bond.

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Interesting. The Cuban Missile Crises ended when the Soviet Union agreed to pull out its offensive weapons from Cuba and we promised not to invade. Now that they want to place offensive weapons back in, that means we can take the gloves off.

Now...if we only had some soldiers available.

Comment

The bombers are being put there because the U.S. withdrew from the ABM.

Also, the agreement with the U.S. was over missiles in Cuba, not bombers

Do you really think the U.S. needs to engage in a Third invasion and occupation of a country that hates us?
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Cubans hate us?

Comment

The Cubans che cares about (ie. the oppressors) do...

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                            Interesting. The Cuban Missile Crises ended when the Soviet Union agreed to pull out its offensive weapons from Cuba and we promised not to invade. Now that they want to place offensive weapons back in, that means we can take the gloves off.

Now...if we only had some soldiers available.
                            We also agreed to remove missiles from Turkey I think.

Comment

Working...
                            X