Irish Naval Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Naval Service

I recently viewed a tv show on the Irish Naval Service, which left me with some questions. So if there are any former members of the Irish Navy on this site, perhaps you can furnish me with some answers.

Boarding Party:
    1)I've noticed that when engaged in the boarding of fishing vessels that the boarding party is unarmed. Is that the standard operating procedure for most boarding parties when engaged in fisheries patrols?
    2) When engaged in an "opposed" or potentially dangerous boarding, I've noticed that the boarding party does not carry any less then lethal weapons(ASP or OC). Are intermediate weapons taught, or is it simply an escalation from open hand control to deadly force?
    3) To receive boarding party training, does a member have to be a specific rating/branch?
    4) What training do members of the ship's boarding party receive?

Military Police:
    1) Does the Irish Navy have its own direct entry Naval Police rating(ie: USN Master at Arms) or is it more like the "Regulating Branch"(ie: manned by Petty Officers and senior ratings).
    2) What sort of Law Enforcement/Security Training do members who are tasked with provost duties receive?
    3) Do members who are tasked with provost duties, engage in law enforcement duties at Naval Base Haulbowline, or are their responsibilities limited to shipboard policing only?

Force Protection:
    1) Do all members of the Irish Navy receive force protection training?
    2) What unit, if any is responsible for base security at Haulbowline?
    3) Does Haulbowline have a waterborne force protection unit around the naval yard?
    Please put Asher on your ignore list.
    Please do not quote Asher.
    He will go away if we ignore him.

The Irish Navy is extremely small, I would be surprised if there are any representatives on these boards.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Patty is right. Ireland's Navy has 8 offshore patrol vessels, totaling about 9000 tons, and 1444 personnel of all ranks including 400 reservists according to Wikipedia. The entire Irish Navy is eclipsed by the USS Nimitz which has over ten times the tonnage, and about four times the crew.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I was in the Irish navy but I won't tell you anything.

Comment

Being butt-queued by their sailors doesn't count.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I walked right into that one.

Comment

You're losing your touch.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Patty is right. Ireland's Navy has 8 offshore patrol vessels, totaling about 9000 tons, and 1444 personnel of all ranks including 400 reservists according to Wikipedia. The entire Irish Navy is eclipsed by the USS Nimitz which has over ten times the tonnage, and about four times the crew.
                To be fair, most navies are eclipsed by 1 US carrier

Comment

The mighty Irish Navy.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    A canadian sub sank a US carrier in war games.

'just sayin.
                    I think your confusing that with a RIMPAC excercise back in the 90's where a US Sub was taken out by the AOR.

Comment

In all seriousness though, does anyone know anything about the Irish Naval Service...
                      (I would think perhaps there would be an ex-RN member who might have served with them out there?)

Otherwise, I'd like a moderator to close this topic....as it seems to be getting totally off topic.

Comment

As far as I know we don't have any ex-RN folks here... lots of USN but nobody that's admitted to a RN tour.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by bc1871 View Post
                          Otherwise, I'd like a moderator to close this topic....as it seems to be getting totally off topic.
                          What did you expect? Off Topic is the name of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            A canadian sub sank a US carrier in war games.

'just sayin.

Win all the games you want, we'll stick with winning battles.

Comment

Working...
                            X