Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you revoke the mandates of elected officials in the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you revoke the mandates of elected officials in the US?

Can the people of a state revoke the mandate of a governor they have elected if he doesn't keep the promises he'd made during the campaign? Can they do the same to a representative or a senator they elected? What about the president?
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

No Federal official can be removed that way. In the states, it's up to the individual state's constitution. But I know of no state that does that.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

We use the word 'impeach'. Illinois, at least, has procedures for impeachment (and used them last month )

That said, I can't imagine someone being impeached solely based on campaign promises. It's usually used more for legal issues.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

But impeachment is done by the legislature and not "the people." I think he's wondering if we have a referendum system for removing elected officials. I could be wrong.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

In California a new election can be called to replace the governor.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
            Can the people of a state revoke the mandate of a governor they have elected if he doesn't keep the promises he'd made during the campaign?
            HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

EVERY politician never does everything he promised during the election. We could probably toss out all the politicans if this was the case (and maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing)

If people haven't figured out yet that campaign promises are just that, words to get elected by... shame on them.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Oh right. Arnie. I forgot.

Comment

Yes, many if not most states, have a "recall" procedure whereby the people can remove an elected official.

In California, Gray Davis was removed because he faced a six billion dollar budget shortfall. No one talks of remove our current governor even though he faced a forty-six billion shortfall...because he ist der Ahrnold!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  But impeachment is done by the legislature and not "the people." I think he's wondering if we have a referendum system for removing elected officials. I could be wrong.
                  Correct.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                    Yes, many if not most states, have a "recall" procedure whereby the people can remove an elected official.

In California, Gray Davis was removed because he faced a six billion dollar budget shortfall. No one talks of remove our current governor even though he faced a forty-six billion shortfall...because he ist der Ahrnold!
                    Someone is always trying to recall the Governor of California, no matter who it is. Succeeding at it is another story.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Per wikipedia...

Along with the initiative, the referendum, and the direct primary, the recall election was one of the major electoral reforms advocated by leaders of the Progressive movement in the United States during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, although it was initially proposed in William S. U'Ren's Oregon newspaper. Recall elections are currently prohibited in the federal system. The majority of states allow recall elections in local jurisdictions, but only eighteen states permit recall elections to remove state officials. [1]

Only two governors have ever been successfully recalled. In 1921, Lynn J. Frazier, Governor of North Dakota, was recalled during a dispute about state-owned industries, and in 2003, Governor Gray Davis of California was recalled over mismanagement of the state budget.

In Alaska, Georgia, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Rhode Island, and Washington, specific grounds are required for a recall. Some form of malfeasance or misconduct while in office must be identified by the petitioners. The target may choose to dispute the validity of the grounds in court, and a court then judges whether the allegations in the petition rise to a level where a recall is necessary. In the other eleven states that permit state-wide recall, no grounds are required and recall petitions may be circulated for any reason. However, the target is permitted to submit responses to the stated reasons for recall.

The minimum number of signatures and the time limit to qualify a recall vary between states. In addition, the handling of recalls once they qualify differs. In some states, a recall triggers a simultaneous special election, where the vote on the recall, as well as the vote on the replacement if the recall succeeds, are on the same ballot. In the 2003 California recall election, over 100 candidates appeared on the replacement portion of the ballot. In other states, a separate special election is held after the target is recalled, or a replacement is appointed by the Governor or some other state authority.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post

Davis lied about the shortfall. Arnold hasn't. Thus the difference. Plus, Gray was not only the man's name, it was a description of his personality.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                            Can the people of a state revoke the mandate of a governor they have elected if he doesn't keep the promises he'd made during the campaign? Can they do the same to a representative or a senator they elected? What about the president?

Every 2 years more or less

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                              Davis lied about the shortfall.
                              Not true.
                              Plus, Gray was not only the man's name, it was a description of his personality.
                              Too true.

Comment

Working...
                              X