Hamish - Australia's next disaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamish - Australia's next disaster?

VERY DESTRUCTIVE WINDS, ELEVATED SEA LEVELS and LARGE WAVES are likely to impact on the Whitsunday Islands during Sunday morning.

Severe Tropical Cyclone Hamish, a CATEGORY 5 CYCLONE, is located off the north Queensland coast and at 10:00 pm EST was estimated to be 180 kilometres north northeast of Hayman Is and 275 kilometres east northeast of Townsville, moving southeast at 17 kilometres per hour.

Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Hamish at 10:00 pm EST:
    .Centre located near...... 18.5 degrees South 149.3 degrees East
    .Location accuracy........ within 19 kilometres
    .Recent movement.......... towards the southeast at 17 kilometres per hour
    .Wind gusts near centre... 295 kilometres per hour
    .Severity category........ 5
    .Central pressure......... 930 hectoPascals

Hamish, a most severe cyclone is located around a 100km off populated regions of the Queensland coast and currently moving roughly parrellel with the coast. With its winds around 200 miles per hour, if it hits the coast at this strength damage may be catastrophic. Large regions of the Queensland coast are home to popular tourist resorts, particularly on the islands out to sea in the Great Barrier reef. Many of these islands have been evacuated although on some islands with cyclone proof shelters some people are remaining.
    The real threat is if it moves closer to the coast, already this very severe cyclone has stayed closer to the coast than cyclones usually do this far south along the Queensland coast. Further north buildings are built to higher cyclonic standards, as it moves southwards, this cyclone is approaching regions where buildings are not designed to withstand storms of this power. So if it veers towards the coast at all, catastrophic damage is probable with significant loss of life.
    Substantial rainfall is already hitting the coast causing some flooding, we can only hope the winds themselves will stay away.

Well, it will stop the fire danger.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I gather I shouldn't plan an Australian vacation any time soon...

Sorry to hear about the continuation of the natural disasters, hope everything's okay with our Aussie posters...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

hmmm... i wonder if Plato would have described Australia as an island as big as europe and africa (as known to him) taken together...

Comment

Hamish, a category 5 cyclone continues on a SE path roughly parrellel to the coast, although it may have inched slightly further from the coast if anything overnight. Some islands continue to be under severe threat, although the core of the cyclone will now miss the Whitsundays island group where there are a large number of major resorts. Peripheral winds and large waves are still giving it a battering though.
          Potential for disaster still exists but have decreased slightly due to it remaining offshore, however cyclones are unpredictable in their routes to a large extent.

Comment

Hamish continues to maintain its strength and is now inching closer to the coast as it continues its southwards trek. There is now a high probability it will cross the coast,possibly just north of the heavily populated sunshine coast, but not for about 2 days or so. The region is not built to cyclonic standards, and therefore would not surive a category 5 storm. The good news if any is that it is beginning to travel over waters that are less warm and therefore is expected to lose some strength prior to hitting the coast, this weakening has not yet started though.
            So far the majority of rain associated with this flood has also remained offshore, so no significant flooding has yet occurred, that however will begin to change very soon, maybe later today as it approaches the coast.

Comment

Is this near Mackay?

When I lived in Mackay, we were hit by a Cat 5 Cyclone. At the very last minute, it made a u-turn and totally destroyed some Papa New Guinea area.

It was great fun! I love disasters.
              be free

Comment

It is passing out to the east of Mackay, which yesterday received 8 inches of rain, but not the wind of the cyclone, now it is moving to areas south of Mackay.

Comment

But Mackay is more than a thousand kilometres from Papua New Guinea, so not sure of your geography, no storm that is near Mackay would ever travel to PNG.

Comment

Hamish as expected by the forecasters has now started to weaken and is now a category 4 cyclone, at the same time it has begun moving SE, rather than an earlier SSE track, this minor change in direction if continued will keep it away from the coast.
                    The major threat seems to be to offshore islands and resorts, more of which are being evacuated now.

Comment

Hamish has continued to move to the SE slightly away from the coast, it is now certain to weaken further (currently category 4 still) and slow down, if it tracks back to the coast, it is likely to weaken to cat 1 or tropical low before it hits.
                      Queensland has had a lucky escape this time.

Comment

That's what I thought too, I guess it wasn't PNG then, but memory tells me it was, maybe it was some island off the coast of Australia. It was in 88 or 89.
                        be free

Comment

Working...
                        X