Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krugman on dithering

The Big Dither

Last month, in his big speech to Congress, President Obama argued for bold steps to fix America’s dysfunctional banks. “While the cost of action will be great,” he declared, “I can assure you that the cost of inaction will be far greater, for it could result in an economy that sputters along for not months or years, but perhaps a decade.”

Many analysts agree. But among people I talk to there’s a growing sense of frustration, even panic, over Mr. Obama’s failure to match his words with deeds. The reality is that when it comes to dealing with the banks, the Obama administration is dithering. Policy is stuck in a holding pattern.

Here’s how the pattern works: first, administration officials, usually speaking off the record, float a plan for rescuing the banks in the press. This trial balloon is quickly shot down by informed commentators.

Then, a few weeks later, the administration floats a new plan. This plan is, however, just a thinly disguised version of the previous plan, a fact quickly realized by all concerned. And the cycle starts again.

Why do officials keep offering plans that nobody else finds credible? Because somehow, top officials in the Obama administration and at the Federal Reserve have convinced themselves that troubled assets, often referred to these days as “toxic waste,” are really worth much more than anyone is actually willing to pay for them — and that if these assets were properly priced, all our troubles would go away.

Thus, in a recent interview Tim Geithner, the Treasury secretary, tried to make a distinction between the “basic inherent economic value” of troubled assets and the “artificially depressed value” that those assets command right now. In recent transactions, even AAA-rated mortgage-backed securities have sold for less than 40 cents on the dollar, but Mr. Geithner seems to think they’re worth much, much more.

And the government’s job, he declared, is to “provide the financing to help get those markets working,” pushing the price of toxic waste up to where it ought to be.

What’s more, officials seem to believe that getting toxic waste properly priced would cure the ills of all our major financial institutions. Earlier this week, Ben Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman, was asked about the problem of “zombies” — financial institutions that are effectively bankrupt but are being kept alive by government aid. “I don’t know of any large zombie institutions in the U.S. financial system,” he declared, and went on to specifically deny that A.I.G. — A.I.G.! — is a zombie.

This is the same A.I.G. that, unable to honor its promises to pay off other financial institutions when bonds default, has already received $150 billion in aid and just got a commitment for $30 billion more.

The truth is that the Bernanke-Geithner plan — the plan the administration keeps floating, in slightly different versions — isn’t going to fly.

Take the plan’s latest incarnation: a proposal to make low-interest loans to private investors willing to buy up troubled assets. This would certainly drive up the price of toxic waste because it would offer a heads-you-win, tails-we-lose proposition. As described, the plan would let investors profit if asset prices went up but just walk away if prices fell substantially.

But would it be enough to make the banking system healthy? No.

Think of it this way: by using taxpayer funds to subsidize the prices of toxic waste, the administration would shower benefits on everyone who made the mistake of buying the stuff. Some of those benefits would trickle down to where they’re needed, shoring up the balance sheets of key financial institutions. But most of the benefit would go to people who don’t need or deserve to be rescued.

And this means that the government would have to lay out trillions of dollars to bring the financial system back to health, which would, in turn, both ensure a fierce public outcry and add to already serious concerns about the deficit. (Yes, even strong advocates of fiscal stimulus like yours truly worry about red ink.) Realistically, it’s just not going to happen.

So why has this zombie idea — it keeps being killed, but it keeps coming back — taken such a powerful grip? The answer, I fear, is that officials still aren’t willing to face the facts. They don’t want to face up to the dire state of major financial institutions because it’s very hard to rescue an essentially insolvent bank without, at least temporarily, taking it over. And temporary nationalization is still, apparently, considered unthinkable.

But this refusal to face the facts means, in practice, an absence of action. And I share the president’s fears: inaction could result in an economy that sputters along, not for months or years, but for a decade or more.
    When Krugman is decrying the Admin's stimulus proposal, you know they're off track.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Specifically, it's the banking plan. And it's pretty ****ed. The Admin doesn't appear to have the guts to go through with large scale nationalizations. Only the FDIC seems to know what it's doing; too bad Bair couldn't be at Treasury instead of Geithner...
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

AIG may be too big to let die, but it's also too big to save. Let it go.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

this refusal to face the facts
        Bush III
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Bah! There's a difference between refusing to face facts and making up facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
            When Krugman is decrying the Admin's stimulus proposal, you know they're off track.
            :???:

Krugman was a huge critic of the stimulus compromise saying it was way to small by half and contained to many useless tax cuts which hardly result in any stimulus at all. Krugman said he wanted more like 50%-60% of the stimulus on hard infrastructure projects instead of around 5%.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

This isn't criticism of the stimulus plan (though he has also been critical of that - saying it's too small), but rather the banking rescue plan (to the extent there is a plan). He wants them to quit ****ing around and nationalize the insolvent banks.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Honestly that's what we need to do. Japan's lost decade happened because they dicked around for years and years before bothering to tackle their zombie banks. The proven model is the Swedish model used during Swedens 1991 banking crisis where Sweden nationalized virtually all of the zombie banks, fixed them with government money, then later reprivatized them.

That's the model proven to work while the one we're following, for political reasons because the politicians are afraid of nationalizations, has been proven to not work very well. We need to do what works.

Comment

It's frustrating to watch.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

When you ask the people who screwed the system up how to fix it, the only thing they know to tell you is about the system as it is. In a horribly twisted way, Geithner is right. "If everyone will just pretend that these items have value, then the whole house of cards will magically rebuild itself." However, as with all illusions, once we know how the trick works, no one is buying smelly garbage and nonsense. The loans piled on the CDSs, piled on the overpriced mortgages were all going to fail as soon as the buyers figured out that all three items were worthless and only the mortgages can be fixed. Even that fix requires ousting the first "owner" and selling at an adjusted price and interest to an actually employed buyer who can reasonably make the payments.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

If we seize the banks, what should we do with them besides flush their waste? Should we send them back as many banks in much smaller chunks? What about investment insurance? Do we really want the Government to play guarantor of last resort to hedge funds? Why would we want Uncle Sam to allowing investors to make wild bets and then ameliorate the risk by hedging? AIG went broke doing something most observers without a stake in the game would think was really stupid. Allowing investors to buy insurance for their riskiest investments for a fee sounds like something one dreams up for someone really stupid to do.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Krugman's right on this. Fixing the financial sector is the most important task facing Obama, but he's ignoring it in favor of ramming his plans to greatly expand the federal government through Congress while he still has a crisis atmosphere to sell it with. Obama hasn't even managed to give Geithner much of a staff to work with over at Treasury, for christ's sake. Obama should be nationalizing the banks now, but he'd rather concentrate on his political goals while the economy goes down the toilet.

Comment

Timidity was my major concern regarding Obama.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Honestly, I think Obama has given Geithner the ball to run with since he's supposed to be the "expert" but the problem is Geithner seems to be very much an industry insider with few new ideas so he just wants to keep half ass tinkering at the edges instead of really cleaning the mess up like the Swedes did in 1991.

Comment

Yay, change...
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X