How does flossing help exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does flossing help exactly?

I took up flossing last week and have been doing it every night before bed.

My question though is what does it do? I've read and have been told it's supposed to remove plaque. Yet every time I've done it the floss comes out of my mouth as clean as when it went in, and I know I'm doing it right.

I'm beginning to think I'm putting myself at higher risk for some form of infection by sticking my hands in my mouth. Yes I wash my hands before, three times as a matter of fact. I clean under my nails too.

It scrapes the plaque off the sides of your teeth. You don't always see them... you know like when you chew those plaque tablets and realize your mouth is covered in the stuff?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Um. It gets food out, not plaque. You people are idiots. There is food. It gets stuck in between the teeth. A brush cannot easily remove it. So you floss. Plaque is a secondary target more commonly removed by a tooth brush. The main thing with floss. Is the food. ****ing hell.

Comment

If you get food stuck between your gum line and teeth perhaps you should consider dentures already.

You don't always see them... you know like when you chew those plaque tablets and realize your mouth is covered in the stuff?

I should get some of your plaque tablets to see if I really am doing something.

Comment

I agree with both Imran and Wiglaf. It removes food from between your teeth (small particles you perhaps can't see), which are VERY bad for your teeth, as well as removing plaque from them.

It also stimulates your gums, which is important for avoiding gum disease; most of the problem with your gums comes from it not growing adequately along the side of your teeth, and instead receding, exposing more of your tooth. Flossing stimulates it and causes it to grow.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

We don't have one dentist here, do we? I never noticed before. We have a few doctors, and lawyers out the ass (of course).
            Do we have any car salesmen in the audience?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I just pissed on the Alamo

Comment

Wipe the drool off of your chin.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

The real concern is wiping the piss off the Alamo.

There is a dentist poster here, JM is one I think. Check your facts

Comment

I asked the question, you illiterate baboon.

Comment

I use a toothpick and get the food out, much easier, why floss? Somewhere I have a water pic. Used to put water and mouthwash in it and blast the heck outa everything.

What did I do with that gizmo?
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I enjoy flossing immensely. I had to floss two or three times a day when I had braces, and that was annoying because I had to go under the metal wire for each individual spot, but I like it now. It strengthens the gums and removes food. And afterward you can blow air through your all teeth so you know you did a good job. Well, the spaces in between the teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                          I agree with both Imran and Wiglaf. It removes food from between your teeth (small particles you perhaps can't see), which are VERY bad for your teeth, as well as removing plaque from them.

It also stimulates your gums, which is important for avoiding gum disease; most of the problem with your gums comes from it not growing adequately along the side of your teeth, and instead receding, exposing more of your tooth. Flossing stimulates it and causes it to grow.

It's not the gum stimulation so much as removing plaque, which if left to build up, leads to gingivitis (and gum disease), which causes the gums to recede.

Cleaning Your Teeth and Gums (Oral Hygiene) @ ADA.org

Proper Flossing @ ADHA.org
                          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by b etor View Post
                            I enjoy flossing immensely. I had to floss two or three times a day when I had braces, and that was annoying because I had to go under the metal wire for each individual spot, but I like it now. It strengthens the gums and removes food. And afterward you can blow air through your all teeth so you know you did a good job. Well, the spaces in between the teeth.
                            Fascinating. Tell us more about your immensely enjoyable flossing habits.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Well, I use cinnamon toothpaste, so I like to use cinnamon floss. But cinnamon mouthwash is super expensive so I have to settle for spearmint to soak my retainer in during the day. So I alternate between cinnamon and spearmint floss while greatly favoring the cinnamon.

Comment

Working...
                              X